Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weekend Freeze

Posted by greenthumbelina7 Z4 (My Page) on
Mon, May 10, 10 at 11:37

I am wondering about my plants health after this weekends cold temps. I covered the ones that I was worried about on friday night but had no idea it was supposed to freeze last night. Unfortunately, I planted a whole lot of stuff yesterday. Should I be worried about those since they are just seeds, no growth whatsoever? I'm hoping everything will be fine. Can seeds survive a freeze?
Also my strawberry plant has 2 flowers on it, can I assume these will die?

Thanks,
Tina

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weekend Freeze

I live in Prior Lake, and the temperatures hit 30 degrees on Saturday night/Sunday morning. I just have a lot of perennials. However, I was still quite worried since all the plants are a good two to four weeks ahead of schedule because of the warm weather in March/April. At first blush, the plants looked like they handled the cold temperatures pretty well. On closer look, it appears that many of my iris buds have freeze damage and will likely not bloom. Also, my flax took a bit of a hit. It is still blooming, but looks a little ragged . . life in Minnesota . . .

- Adam

o

• Posted by jel48 Z4 Michigan (My Page) on
    Tue, May 11, 10 at 3:16

Tina, a freeze won't hurt your seeds.

o

My plants all look good. I had the veggies covered, but nothing else.

o

Thank you! You have no idea how much of a relief that is to hear. I hope everything else is okay, for everyone else too!

o

On the evening news, they were interviewing a strawberry grower. He was asked how you know if the frost has hurt the strawberries. He said if the center of the blossom turns black. I have noticed that a number of my uncovered strawberries and even a few of the straw-covered ones in my large bed look that way. Otherwise, just looking at the plants, you would never know anything was the matter with them. I didn't even see any frost in our yard in Hudson, WI, but there must have been some in my garden. I look at it as thinning; maybe the remaining good berries will be larger. Northwoodswis

o

I checked my strawberries last night and have no black centers so I'm hoping all is well. Thanks for the input!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here