Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crocosmia_mn

Photo of my loot from the Friends School plant sale

crocosmia_mn
17 years ago

I've been gloating over my new plants all morning. It's really not just pure acquisitiveness, I hope -- I would be almost as happy buying plants for somebody else. Wednesday and Thursday I certainly loved just seeing all the plants when we unloaded them from the trucks and put them in their places on the tables.

Would have got more, but I must have put a jinx on several of the plants I most wanted because they were labelled "Crop Failure." But the volunteer pre-sale was great and uncrowded and well worth the time I spent volunteering. I'm going back on Sunday to see what it's like and to see if I can get a few things for half price that I was too cheapskate to buy at full price.

If you go, let me know how it was. I think they solved some of the problems, such as watering, they had last year (their first at the State Fairgrounds.)

Nancy

Comments (19)

• irrigationcontractor
    17 years ago

Nice plants. How did you post that picture?

• crocosmia_mn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks! I always use TinyPic.com. It's related somehow to PhotoBucket.com. I could try to tell you more exactly how to do it step by step, if you want.

I believe you can only put your photos one at a time into your post, but it's very quick and easy. I can never remember how to make my photos smaller.

• birdwing
    17 years ago

I saw some kids frantically hand watering when I was there. There were a few things I wanted that were pretty yellow and leggy. Somniferum poppies (they almost always are though when in pots) and some herbs like french tarragon.

Next year I'll plan better (I didn't really understand the system so i had to sit down in the middle of it and go through my catalog to find all the numbers. I had only written down names of stuff I wanted.

Nancy,

can you make a little list of the favorites you got? I see nasturtium, solomon's seal, brugmansia, maybe sweet woodruff?

• zenpotter
    17 years ago

Yes please do go through the posting of photos step by step.

Pauline

• crocosmia_mn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here's what I got SO FAR (real quick because I'm in the middle of watching a movie!):

Beardtongue
    Euphorbia cotinifolia
    Zinnia Profusion Fire
    Millet jester
    Verbena bonariensis
    Cleome Violet Queen
    California poppies
    Poppy Black Cloud
    several Nasturtiums
    annual Butterfly weed Red and Gold
    Castor Bean Carmencita
    Flame Flower Scarlet
    Emilia
    Mexican Flame Vine
    Fire Cracker Vine
    Epimedium Ellen Willmott
    Brunnera Hadspen Cream
    perennial Butterfly Weed
    Blazing Star some new culitvar
    Columbine Woodside variegated
    black Hollyhocks
    Louisiana Iris
    Alchemilla Thriller
    purple Verbascum
    Wood Poppy
    Red Hot Pokers
    Shamrock Dark Dancer
    Helenium Helena Red
    variegated Solomons Seal
    Euphorbia Purpurea
    Sweet Woodruff
    Basil, Italian Parsley various tomatoes, Swiss Chard, purple basil
    Spanish Lavenday
    Tithonia
    Lobelia
    Marsh Marigold Bloodroot
    Hepatica

My 14-year-old would scream with laughter if he found out that I was going to explain a computer thing to anyone! I'll do my best with the TinyPic.com tomorrow morning.

Birdwing: I planned like you wouldn't believe and I still skipped things and wrote on my sheet wrong and was almost the last person done shopping and was sitting trying to multiply Price x Quantity at the last minute.

Nancy

• birdwing
    17 years ago

wow great stuff. I got a few packs of verbena bonariensis too. Have you grown that before? Is it as great as it sounds? I wanted some black cloud poppies too but they were one of the things that just looked too sad (there were only a few left) Yes brunnera, I meant that not brugmansia. I'll get my latin straight one of these days (or not)

I got

verbena borianensis
    dianthus amazon cherry
    nigella red jewel
    angelica
    agastache cana "heather queen"
    trachcelium devotion purple
    french tarragon
    nicotiana (mutabilis,cranberry island and daylight sensation)

that's all! ...

I'll be interested to see how to post on the forum too. I always have to put them at a photo host w/ a link...

• leftwood
    17 years ago

Well, this is what I got:
    Anagalus ÂMandarin  Pimpernel
    Chamaecyparis pisifera ÂVinatage GoldÂ
    Epimedium sulphureum
    Penstemon pinifolius
    Penstemon pinifolius ÂMersea Yellow"
    Clematis columbiana tenuiloba
    Orostachys spinosus-Mongolian Hen and Chicks
    Delosperma cooperi ÂKelaidisÂ
    Pardanthopsis dichotoma  Vesper Iris
    Polemonium foliossima ÂBlue MasterÂ
    Thermopsis fabacea
    Eryngium amethystinum
    Trillium luteum
    Lilium philadelphicum  Wood Lily ex Kandiyohi County
    Allium stellatum  Prairie Onion ex Kandiyohi County
    Thalictrum dasycarpum  Purple Meadow Rue ex La Crosse, WI
    Lewisia longipetala ÂLittle PlumÂ
    Bouteloa gracilis - Blue Grama
    Hystrix patula  Bottle Brush grass ex Winona County
    Opuntia imbricata - Tree Cholla

• leftwood
    17 years ago

Julie, every one of those bottle brush grass seedlings you gave me are happy, healthy and growing. I got the one from the Friends sale to see any differences in genetics. (You know I'm kind of weird that way).

• karenn3
    17 years ago

Great buys all. I couldn't make the Friends sale this year. Did anyone check out the Dirca palustris. Or notice which supplier brought it in? Outback Nurseries has none for sale. Thanks

• leftwood
    17 years ago

I didn't notice where the leatherwoods came from, but they looked very nice. Droopy new growth is the norm for them. There were so many, I would be almost sure they would still be there for the Sunday half off. Go for it!

Rick

• crocosmia_mn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OK, let's try this. I'm guessing that it only works exactly this way if you have a Mac.

1. I move my photo from iPhoto onto my desktop, just drag it over.
    2. I go to TinyPic.com, which is in my Favorites menu so I just have to click on it. There are ads and other things -- I just ignore them all.
    3. It says "Upload" followed by a thing (like my grasp of computer lingo?) that says "Localized string not found" with a line circling it. I have not the slightest idea what this means. However, I click on that weird sentence. It turns blue!
    4. Then a little menu appears which lists all the THINGS on my desktop and one of them is the label of my photo, in this case IMGP1391.JPG. I double-click on that.
    5. A tiny little photo with that label next to it appears to the right of "Localized string not found."
    6. Several lines (which I ignore) below this, there is a thing that says "Upload Image" with a line circling it. I click on this. The computer takes several seconds to obey my command. I try to be patient.
    7. Then up pops a small copy of my photo and the sentence "Image successfully hosted" and three long boxes each full of symbols, letters and numbers and labelled:

HTML
    [IMG]
    Link

which seem to contain basically the same information about my photo in different forms. I don't know what they all are, but that's OK for me right now. I don't know how my car works either, but I can drive it.

8. I select the whole contents of the "HTML" box, go to Edit, and copy it.
    9. Then I go to my GardenWeb post and paste this into my text.

1. Then when I click on "Preview Message" there's my huge photo!

I let my son read this and indeed he did laugh. I would be amazed if any of you could use this information to post your own photos, but I was so happy to learn this myself that I'm fine with looking like a computer fool in public. If you have a PC instead of a Mac, try going to TinyPic.com anyway and "see if you can figure it out." That's what my kid keeps saying to me!

Nancy

PS Please let me know how you do with all this!

• luvmydaisies
    17 years ago

I went today to the plant sale and it went very smoothly. I had a list made out with the plant name/number and price so I was able to just walk up and down the isle and grab the plants I wanted and then there were some impulse buying too. (you know to make up for the ones that were on the list but either gone/crop failure).Here is my list:

Beard's tongue 'scarlet queen'
    Japanese anemone 'annabella deep pink'
    aster ' lady in black'
    aster 'september ruby'
    astilbe 'chinensis taquetti'
    baloon flower 'sentimental blue'~dwarf 6"tall
    baloon flower 'shell pink'
    butterfly weed 'gay butterflies'
    butterfly weed 'ice ballet'
    butterfly weed 'soulmate'
    coneflower 'baby white'
    coneflower'double decker'
    primrose 'himalayan giant cowslip'
    primrose 'pacific giant
    seathrift 'joystick lilac'
    seathrift 'nifty thrifty'
    sheperds scabosia
    sneezeweed 'helena red'
    showy milkweed
    poke milkweed
    hummingbird mint
    Big smile daylily
    double cutie daylily
    orange phlox~ for my mom
    Phlox 'miss lingard' for my mom
    medow sage 'rose queen'
    dwarf blue fescue
    Pansy 'Bolero flamber terra cotta'
    lobelia'fountain crimson' trailing
    Umbrella palm for my pond

{{gwi:1049402}}
    {{gwi:1049403}}
    {{gwi:1049404}}

• selkie_b
    17 years ago

I thought I might have seen a couple of you there, but my friend Patti and I were truly rushing about. My list wasn't too long and I got all but one thing I wanted on it (the climbing bleeding heart had a crop failure *pout*) I could be really specific here - but it's raining so :P you get what I can remember:

Hardy holly "Merry Berry"
    Thalictrum "Elin"
    Blue Culver's root
    Rosemary (large upright)
    lemongrass
    Italian parsley
    creeping lobelia two of the "Regata" series
    New Guinea Impatiens
    Cup and Saucer vine
    Oriental poppy something or other "Grape"
    Native Cardinal flower

so mostly stuff for pots and to fill in.

The other stuff I'm waiting for the swap! *GRIN*

-Marie

• birdwing
    17 years ago

That's so funny! the whole time I was there i kept looking at people going "I wonder if that's somebody from gardenweb? or that ? or that?" I'm going to have to come to the swap so I can meet people..

• leftwood
    17 years ago

To post photos, and you use photobucket:
    1. Upload Photo to photobucket. If you're scanning a hard photo, go for 50% and it won't be so large.
    2. Under each photo on photobucket there is a Tag address. Left click on it to highlight it.
    3. Then right click on it, and choose the copy option.
    4. Go back to your message screen on GW.
    5. With the cursor where you want the pic to be in your message, right click and choose paste. A bunch of gobble-dee-gook appears. That is the Tag address for the pic at Photobucket.
    6. When you preview the message, the photo will appear (before you actually submit your post). If it doesn't, you've done something wrong or perhaps the photo is too large of a file. Clear your cache and try again if you think the file is too large.

• luvmydaisies
    17 years ago

Yes, while I was standing in line to get in on Saturday I was wondering if anyone standing there in line with me was a garden web member....I was 4th in line on saturday!! SO I was near the front.
    Atica

• zenpotter
    17 years ago

Thanks for the posting info. I will have to wait until later today to try it.

• mnfairy
    17 years ago

Friends School Plant Sale is GREAT!!!! I bought a lady slipper, a Japanese Jack-in-the-Pulpit, a large-flowered trillium and a variegated honeysuckle. Looking for good planting tips for the lady slipper and Japanese Jack-in-the-Pulpit. The gentleman behind the "rare" plant table said the the Japanese Jack-in-the-Pulpit should be planted in a protected site (?)

• crocosmia_mn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I went back for the Sunday half-price sale, not expecting much (the volunteer pre-sale sort of spoils you!) and was pleasantly surprised and amazed. Several things that I zoomed right to when the door opened at the pre-sale and happily paid full price for were still there! I bought two or three more of many things I already had, such as Euphorbia cotinifolia (an annual that looks just like a purple Cotinus) and Brunnera 'Hadspen Cream' and my beloved annual butterfly weed. There were still many things I just couldn't talk myself into buying at full price, such as a banana tree and Christopher Lloyd's Ranuculus 'Brazen Hussy', so I snapped them up at half price. Also, most plants still looked pretty good and although the line to get in was around the block, I only had to arrive half an hour early to be near the front of it.

One funny comment I overheard from one of the kid volunteers on Wednesday: his friend must have asked him what was the difference between annuals and perennials, and he authoritatively replied, "The perennials are the uglier ones."

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer