Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone tried a Redbud 'Forest Pansy' in Minnesota?

Posted by crocosmia_mn z4 (My Page) on
Thu, May 14, 09 at 13:12

Some sources say zone 5, some say zone 6.
Some sources say full sun, some say part shade.
Some sources say great for the boulevard, others say not.

I love this tree and would go to quite a bit of trouble to protect it over the winter --- how do you DO that with a small tree? One idea I've considered is to leave it in its pot and plant it out in the open all season, and then dig it up and plant it close to the house for the winter. I already do this for certain zone 5 or 6 perennials I must have.

It apparently has a long taproot and does not like to be transplanted, so I'd like to put it in the best possible spot.

I know it can get to be 15-20 feet tall, but how quickly?

By the way, I HAVE the tree and it was very cheap, so I am willing to take chances with it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone tried a Redbud 'Forest Pansy' in Minnesota?

I have the U of M version of Redbud, it is doing well, don't really know about the "Forest Pansy" variety. I put mine on the east side of the house, sheltered between my house and my neighbors house. That is all the protection I give it...I have had it for 4 years now...don't know if that is help at all.

Helen.

o

I don't think it will be perfectly hardy for you there, but I'd grow it as a root hardy SHRUB than expecting a tree.

Let the winter cold kill back the trunk to the snowline or ground each year and let it rejuvenate as a multi-stemmed shrub. Kind of like a coppiced shrub.

You want it for the purple-burgundy foliage, so new grow/leaves is what you want anyways, right?

I like this link source, but I'm surprised to see it listed as zone 3. This must be a reference for zone 3 Maine, not Minnesota/Manitoba!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Forest Pansy

o

Thanks! So I would cut it almost to the ground in early spring, the way I do my Cotinus? If this works, it's great because I really wanted a shrub anyway!

o

I would check the plant to see if the plant was budded. If so, coming back from the roots or below the graft will yield a different plant.

o

I know one gardener who has it and it died the winter after it was planted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here