Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zenpotter

rain barrel

zenpotter
18 years ago

Hello,

Well with all of this rain I have decided to do something with it.

I want to make a rain barrel actually 4 if the first one works well. I have found instructions and now am trying to find a barrel to make it with. The instructions recommend finding a used 55 gal drum. The only specific recommendation was a pepsi drum. Well pepsi no longer sells or gives them away.

Have any of you made a rain barrel and if so where did you get the barrel? I don't want to buy one of the ready made ones.

Pauline

Comments (27)

• luvmydaisies
    18 years ago

That is great that you posted this question because one of the Dr's that I work with was asking where he could buy on here in MN...SO if anyone knows of a place that they can be purchased please post that too.

• abgardeneer
    18 years ago

We've gotten our "rain barrels" from farm supply stores - we use 3 180(?) gallon or so, oval-shaped, gray, plastic livestock troughs. All sit alongside the house in the nook between our house and the neighbor's, out of sight. One trough sits up on a stand a few inches tall, and has an overflow pipe to feed into the next trough; the downspout that feeds into the first one drains the larger part of the roof. The third trough stands by itself and is fed by a downspout that drains a smaller part of the roof. Our goldfish spend their summer holidays out there, providing mosquito control.
    So, just a suggestion if you have the space for it...

• leaveswave
    18 years ago

General description and pics
    my 8-barrel project

Excellent instructions, including where to get a barrel
    The Labor Pool's directions

I've heard of various stores (Gertens, Fleet Farm, and one place I can't remember now...) selling them, much more spendy option, but a little faster too, you might want to call to verify stock.

• karenn3
    18 years ago

I'm putting in a rain garden this year and at the seminar, we were given a website for the Green Institute in Mpls. They're planning on selling a 55-gal barrel with the whole kit for $55. White or black, but it looks like the barrels can be painted, per Leavewaves' post. I was thinking about it but after seeing the post, I'm more committed. Good-looking set-up! Karen

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Leaveswave,
    The directions are so detailed. Thank you so much. I am watching all that rain run into the street and thinking there is my half done rain graden waiting for better weather so dh can dig the rest ot it and then while I plant he can make a rainbarrel or two. I did manage to go buy some plants in the rain for the rain garden. Now it is rain rain go away.

Pauline

• selkie_b
    18 years ago

We actually bought ours online - and it's a HUGE Greek pepperoncini shipping barrel :) Great as it has a screw on lid they've fitted with screening, and they afix taps to it as well. They also sell kits for them. Pretty nice deal actually. I've seen Leaveswave's - on the cheap they are EXCELLENT. Basically, you want something that will hold water that you can fasten an overflow hose to.

-Marie

• jel48
    18 years ago

luvmydaisies, if I remember correctly, I saw the ready made ones at Fleet Farm and they were quite pricy. I thought overpriced, because I'm a do-it-myselfer too, and knew I could make one for much less. I don't recall the price, just that it was high.

• luvmydaisies
    18 years ago

Thank you, next time I am there I will check, I am not buying it, one of the Doctors that I work for wants to buy it...I don't think he is much of a do it yourself type....but maybe.

• Julie
    18 years ago

Hey- so glad you asked Zen- and even more glad you responded Leaves! What a great reply- great site- with photos and all- whew! I didn't even think I wanted one- now- I need a few! Hmmmm- I love the Gold fish idea too- extra fertilizer for the plants... Would they live in food grade plastic? Or would that still give off too many toxins for their little bodies? Any one know?
    Um- Leaves- are you "involved" with any grey water projects? I would love to see your frugal,
    logicly effective and still so asthetically pleasing solutions to that water reclamation project!
    Does any one who frequents the MN forum utilize a grey water reclimation system?
    Thanks-
    Julie

• leaveswave
    18 years ago

If grey water is using the laundry, bath, dishwashing water outside? No, I don't. I've already paid for the water (you pay for what comes in through the pipes, not what goes down the drain) and frankly that project has never struck me as worth the time and effort. So many projects, so little time!

By the way, the rain barrels have a (slightly) new home...looks like the Wild Ones might be publishing them.
    RB1
    RB2
    Generally, what I've found is you can make one for about a third of retail cost. And making several to hook up in series saves even more.

• carmellia
    18 years ago

I can't claim to have a more attractive or inventive or more efficient rain barrel. What I have is a cheaper rain barrel. It is a large plastic garbage can that blew into my yard (complete with lid) last fall). I left it sitting on my front sidewalk for a week and no one claimed it. I figure that makes it mine.

It sits at the corner of the patio roof that gets the run-off from the upper veranda. A heavy rain will fill it compeltely.

Let's see that's:

Barrel - free
    hoses - none
    screen - none (I use it too fast for mosquitos)
    faucet - none (I dip right in)

You might find purtier - but you won't find cheeper. Carmellia

• sjmarq
    18 years ago

Two possibilities to recommend - freecycle, or a car wash. Car washes use large barrels to hold soap and are generally willing to give them away when empty.

• David1320
    18 years ago

Pauline, my two re-cycled, DIY 55-gallon barrels arrived by UPS on May 23 from Baytec. Baytec is online. The barrels totaled $103.00 on my MC including shipping. Half that was for the well washed-out barrels and half was for shipping. They have fixed lids. Now I have to figure out how to put plumbing fixtures onto them. The City of Superior, Wisconsin public works web site has some of the best DIY (Do It Yourself) instructions I have found so far on making a rain barrel. However, they pre-suppose you're using a barrel with a removable lid, like Leaveswaves' (above). I have seen instructions, however, for barrels with fixed tops, like the ones that Baytec recycles. (I have to run the site down again, but I think it was Better Homes and Gardens.) After ordering from Baytec, I thought to look in the local Nashville yellow pages and found two outfits that sell re-cycled food drums/barrels, but they're both in rural boondocks (43 and 61 miles from downtown Nashville, respectively), so I conclude that there are barrel re-cyclers all over the country, but unless you have time and a pick-up truck, you may still want to look for a recycler who doesn't mind sending one or two by UPS (which doubled the cost of the barrels in my case). Aaron's Barrels web page has excellent how-to on using Krylon spray paint on plastic barrels. Aaron's site also sells fitted out barrels, including gorgeous 60-gallon authentic oak barrels that I would be proud to put in front of my house. Unfortunately, they're so heavy (I think he says 100 lbs.), that shipping drives their cost up to $250.00. Plastic 55-gallon barrels are about 20 lbs. each.

Here is a link that might be useful: City of Superior, How to Make a Rain Barrel

• David1320
    18 years ago

Here's the HGTV link on how to make a rain barrel from a CLOSED-END, 55-gallon recycled, plastic barrel. (It's the link I was thinking about in my first post above.) The site has photos showing how to use the barrel's existing openings, and how to get access to the interior to attach new plumbing - like a spigot. The link to the City of Superior, Wisconsin web site (above) is specific to a barrel type that lets you release a "collar" on the barrel to remove its top. Then if you're very flsxible, and someone helps you, you can reach down inside 4 feet to install plumbing parts inside. Conclusion: we do-it-yourselfers can adapt both barrel types.

Here is a link that might be useful: HGTV web instructions: Using a Closed-End drum for a rain barrel.

• talleyid
    18 years ago

I've researched rain barrels extensively and there are many good products available for purchase. The most unique one I found, and purchased, was available at:

http://www.aridsolutionsinc.com

They have a very nice design that I find much more aesthetically pleasing than most.

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I like the shape. What made you decide on this particular one?

Pauline

• leaveswave
    18 years ago

Good to see additional competition. That means the practice of using rain barrels is getting popular enough to bring more competition. I hope prices come down even further to encourage more folks to get 5 or 6!

• leaveswave
    18 years ago

Good to see additional competition. That means the practice of using rain barrels is getting popular enough to bring more competition. I hope prices come down even further to encourage more folks to get 5 or 6!

• michele13bugs
    18 years ago

I don't use a normal rain barrel...but after years of forgetting a wheel barrel in the yard and then discovering that after it rained I had a good cache of rain in it...I just stared to leave one here and there...and also those huge plastic tubs you can buy anywhere...I leave them in a spot not to be an eyesore..behind a big rock...or garden shed...wherever.....and usually leave a small gallon ice cream pail inside it...and whenever I am too lazy to go and turn on the hose....which is quite often...I just dip into my rainbarrels and water the plants that need it....

Michele >^,,^

• leaveswave
    18 years ago

Michele, what do you do about mosquitos?

• michele13bugs
    18 years ago

I just use all the water up every week or so and don't let old water stand too long...if it rains so much and the water has stood a long time I just dump it out and start over....but since it's been so dry I haven't had that problem lately....I live in an area with alot of lakes and a few rivers and ponds and a swamp or two....so I don't really know if it matters anyway.....

Michele >^,,^

• Kathy Bochonko
    18 years ago

You can also keep a "mosquito dunk" or two in the barrels.
    A word of caution--Please those of you with open water containers be aware that many animals and even children can fall into containers and drown. I found a dead lizard who had drown in a bucket of water the other day. These guys do a lot of good in the garden and we need to look out for them. Not to mention of course the curious child who may try to see what is in that barrel/container. Just thought I would mention that for those who may not have thought about that concern. Don't just stick a garbage can under you downspot please if there is any chance your neighbors' child (or your own for that matter) may come to investigate etc.

• leaveswave
    18 years ago

They are food-grade plastic and the previous contents were not toxic. My plants love the rain water I collect in them!

• teddy2586
    18 years ago

I have hundreds 55 gallon drums that been used once and cleaned in a food proccessing plant. That I need to get rid of. Contact me if you are interested.

• joyness
    18 years ago

I want to set up a rain barrel for watering the garden. I live in Wellington, New Zealand and have been unable to find a supplier of barrels locally. Does anyone know Of a Wellington supplier please?

• ByTheBarrel
    13 years ago

Recycled (used) wine barrels make great rain barrels! There are a couple of companies in the twin cities selling wine barrels so you can DIY and fully completed rain barrels for those not interested in the handywork. Check prices and the quality of the wine barrels as not all are equal! Craigslist is a good place to start!

• bassplayer4now_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

I know I'm a little late to the party here, but there are many options for rain barrels in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, especially for do-it-yourselfers. All you need is a barrel, a place for water to go in and a place for water to go out. Food grade plastic drums work great, as do wine barrels. Whiskey barrels are OK, but smell like booze and for the money you would be much better off buying a wine barrel. The wood used on wine barrels is much thicker and usually the barrels are much newer.

Below are some great local garden center's and companies in the area that stock different rain barrel styles. I'm sure there are many more that I've missed, but these are some that I know personally. The owners are all wonderful people and are very knowledgeable about their products. They also are all small locally-owned businesses who would love your support!

I've made all of our rain barrels from scratch, so would be more than happy to explain how I did it if anyone is interested. Just repost or send me a message. You really don't need much for tools at all (unless you want to get fancy!)

Plantique on Hiawatha in Minneapolis
    Rainy Day Barrel Co. in Hudson 715-808-1585
    Shades of Green Landscaping in Anoka 763-427-8157
    www.motherearthgarden.com
    www.ecogardensnorthfield.com
    www.uncommongardens.com
    www.bythebarrelmn.com

Good luck!

Sponsored