Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning tomatoes for increased yeilds?

Posted by srj19 4 (My Page) on
Wed, May 26, 10 at 13:21

It seem pruning videos are all over youtube, it's the first I've heard of it but then again I'm largely self taught and who knows what else I don't know....

I can follow the logic of pruning out the suckers, at the same time though it seems a bit counter intuitive. The suckers must produce little to no fruits compared to the main branches? Does doing this tend to produce a more vertical plant instead of the 3X3 monster indeterminates I've always ended up with?

I've also heard that another type of pruning should be done 30 days from frost to focus energy to the existing fruits, does this consinst of just cuting everything above the fruits?

Thanks,

Scott

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning tomatoes for increased yeilds?

The suckers produce fruit, but it tends to be smaller. The plant does become a little more vertical (I grow mine up along an arch. Though the side branches do become long, maybe even longer since they have the energy the suckers would've taken.

The other type of pruning is pinching off any flowers and fruits too small to ripen within 30 days. Leave all the leaves to continue to gather energy, which will be put into the ripening the remaining fruit.

o

We had a neighbor that had the most amazing tomato crop every year that he was able to provide tomatoes to a local supermarket. His plants had so few leaves on them that they looked naked. I haven't ever been able to convince myself to prune them back that much it almost seems cruel. I am going to try it with a few plants this year.

o

A friend of mine pinches off about 1/2 to 1/3 of each of the leaves. She says it works. I am going to try that this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here