Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carmellia_gw

Stocks

carmellia
17 years ago

Have any of you ever grown stock? I have planted a few in pots and they are just beginning to sprout. This is a difficult plant to do a search on. I came up with stockings - well-stocked - stockyard . . . Any experience you may have had growing this would be appreciated. Especially, I am wondering if this is something I should plan to stake up. Thanks. Carmellia

Comments (9)

• Julie
    17 years ago

I have wintersown some this year, and they were the first to emerge- I do hope they will like it in my garden- but I have read on the net that we may be too hot and muggy for them....
    Look under Matthiola ssp when looking for more info-

• clark106
    17 years ago

I bought plants last year at Uncommon Gardens in Minneapolis. they were a lovely container plant through June, if I remember OK, but they do fade in hot weather. Unfortunately, I couldn't find them this year. Very fragrant.

• carmellia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Did you have them planted in full sun? My seed packet said that full sun is okay, but it sure doesn't sound like it would be. I have an area that is in shade until about11:30, although that is still putting them in the hottest sun of the day. Carmellia

• jel48
    17 years ago

I have no idea what they are! Can someone post a link that actually points to the plant and not all the other stuff I find on Google? I'd love to take a look.

• sandysgardens
    17 years ago

I found this seed company advertising Stocks. Hope this helps.

I planted some indoors under lights and now have them out in the green house and the plants are looking great - about 8 inches or so high right now. This will be my first year to have them in the garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stock plants

• jel48
    17 years ago

Oh, those are pretty! Thank you Sandy!

• althea_gw
    17 years ago

The only stocks I've had luck with are Night Scented Stocks which are a staple in our garden. I've tried the other variety, both seeds and plants, and neither did well. Hermes has plants in their annual selection. I'm not going to try them again.

• carmellia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the link. I don't know if I planted the night scented variety or not. I don't think they are a hybrid. I can't figure out where these things would do well. It has to be hotter farther south. Farther north, they would not have a long enough growing season. Where would these things be happy? Maybe they are meant to be a greenhouse flower.

• luvmydaisies
    17 years ago

In my book 'Annuals for MN & WI' by Don Engebretson/Don Williamson it says this about stock. "Stock plants prefer ful sun but tolerates partial shade. Average soil fertility w/lots of organic matter worked in and be moist but well drained"
    It is best to group night scented stock w/other plants because it tends to look wilted and bedraggled during the day but revives impressively at night.
    When cutting stock flowers for arrangements, cut and then crush the ends of the woody stems so they wil draw more water easily.
    Stock combines well with zinnia, larkspur,mallow and cosmos.

Sponsored