Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
selkie_b

As Requested... Mary Queen of Scots (imgs)

selkie_b
16 years ago

This year's pictures of Mary Queen of Scots...

Comments (8)

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    16 years ago

OH my that is LOVELY!

Jenny P

• john_w
    16 years ago

It's big and bushy. Robust. And you say it's fragrant? Thanks for posting the pictures. I've never seen this one before.

I went to HelpMeFind to learn more. It's something of a mystery Hybrid Spinosissima.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Queen at HelpMeFind

• selkie_b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

John,

She's vigorous, all right - have to whack her back a bit after she's done blooming. She's starting to shade out some of my others (the poor Darlow's Enigma behind her for example!) Actually, in the research I've done, it is one of the few natural rose fragrances still used in the perfume industry as there is nothing quite like it. It's very sweet and honey-d smelling, rose but not rose? VERY hard to describe but simply exquisite. I've given some root suckers to a few other GW folks who've had good luck with them so far, would you like one if I can get one this spring? Otherwise, I'll stick a rooting pot on a branch and strike a rooted cutting for you. I swear - it's got to be hardy into lower zone 3 or even 2. Never fully freezes up, turns red and starts to leaf bud at the slightest of spring warmth.

-Marie

• john_w
    16 years ago

Marie, thanks for the offer, but I must decline. I have no room. In fact, I am going the other direction and removing large roses. This summer I am going to take out the climbing moss 'Henri Martin.' and the wild Virginia rose. The latter is quite similar to your MQoS, except it is a native species with glossy leaves. Virginia rose's flowers smell like lily of the valley to me. It also has outstanding fall foliage color. But it spreads like mad. It's probably better suited for a wild setting where it can roam about the place. If YOU or anyone wants a piece of these roses let me know.

Scotch roses are extremely hardy as a rule since Rosa pimpinellifolia a.k.a. Rosa spiniosissima is naturally found in the Arctic circle. I have three hybrids: 'Fruhlingsgold,' 'Fruhlingsduft' and 'Doorenbos Selection.' The First two are Scotch roses crossed with hybrid tea and are big, golden, arching shrubs. 'Fruhlingsduft' is one of the most fragrant roses I have ever smelled. 'Dorenbos Selection' is a low, mounding little thing with purply flowers with hearts of gold.

All Scotch roses are early bloomers. All of mine are budding open now. I'll try to post a few pictures IF it warms up.

• selkie_b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

John,

I LOVE Henri Martin and both the Fruhlings... I grew up with roses so I'm very familiar with all of that :) My dad had Fruhlingsmorgan and I LOVED that.

I so wish I had space to put each of those three in too, but I simply don't. I had to give up a Rosa Glauca I wanted so badly just because it's habit is so beautiful - gave it to someone with the perfect spot though, so I can go visit it *laugh*.

I have one very special rose you may be interested in (not to own, but that I've manage to keep it going!) My folks, when they moved over-seas to retire, brought me, from WA state, their irises and one special rose - a Red Pinocchio! It's a zone 6 rose! I have it cosseted in a raised bed and cover it every winter very deeply. They are pretty much unavailable now - Pink is, but not Red. It's a "parent" rose, a bunch of the Canadians (specifically Champlain) have it as a parent to give it the clusters and the intense red color. The Pinocchio though is a bit larger bloom, better fragrance, and all around better rose - just not as hardy.

I'll post some pics of that when it blooms in a few weeks :)
    -Marie

• selkie_b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, and John?

It turns out the Henri Martin is one of my husband's favorite roses (he's English and his mum is in the Royal Hort. Soc.)

He is pondering where we could trellis one up or onto our fence... so that one may wind up with a home *GRIN*

-Marie

• john_w
    16 years ago

Henri is yours for the taking. He'll be blooming in another couple of weeks. I'm allowing him a final performance before he heads to the wood chipper -- or your garden. He's a deep reddich pink. Nice fragrance and mostly thornless. He's just too big for my place.

'Red Pinocchio' sounds wonderful. Yes, I recall seeing the name in the Agriculture Canada rose breeding program. Too bad its Explorer children didn't inherit the perfume. 'Champlain' is a marvelous rose. It would be perfect if it had some scent.

• selkie_b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

John,

We'll take the "Henri" off your hands :) But *shhhh!* don't tell anyone because we are having to really seriously make a place for it!

We'll put in an inexpensive rose arch over our front walk - gives me an excuse for more clematis anyway. ;)

Roses move well end of Aug start of Sept, unless you need him gone sooner? We are in St. Paul so it wouldn't even be that bad of a stress, short drive, and we could have the area generally prepped.

How big right now, so we have some idea of hole preparations? Buzz me an email through "My Page"!

-Marie

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting