Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trinityklm

Favorite plants with Purple Foliage

trinityklm
15 years ago

I was just wondering what everyone's favorite purple foliaged plants are.

Mine are Ninebark 'Diablo', Pygmy Barberry, Sedum 'Purple Emporer', Cimicifuga 'Brunette'. I like Coral Bells 'Plum Pudding' but can't keep it alive.

What does everyone else like?

Comments (18)

• sjmarq
    15 years ago

Eupatorium Chocolate

• trinityklm
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sjmarq, I looked up Eupatorium chocolate and it is beautiful! I hadn't heard of it before. I love purple and white together. Might have to find a spot for it in my yard...

Speaking of favorites, one of my LEAST favorites was a variety Maltese Cross with purplish leaves. It was sent to me accidentally, but I decided to plant it because the foliage was pretty.

To my horror, a huge, ugly orangy-red flower appeared on the top of this beautiful foliage. The contrast was striking but soooo not to my liking. Red and purple together are okay, as is orange and purple, but this neon orangy-red was hyper!

As soon as I could, I replaced it with cimicifuga.

• kitchenkelly
    15 years ago

Smokebush! I have five of them.

• trinityklm
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kitchenkelly,

What variety do you have? Do you get die back over the winter? I'd love to have a few but wasn't sure how much they liked zone 4.

• crocosmia_mn
    15 years ago

Canna 'Australia', Hibiscus 'Maple Sugar', and Euphorbia cotinifolia. Love them with orange.

• kitchenkelly
    15 years ago

Hi trinityklm, I am so sorry that I don't know the varieties. I think my big one is Grace? I haven't had any die back at all. I prune the one by the garage like crazy because it grows so well. One of the big ones in my backyard goes crazy! I have never trimmed it and it will probably be 12 feet tall this year. FYI, my yard is fenced (6 ft cedar) so that probably helps in the backyard.)

BTW, great idea for a thread.

• minnesotastan
    15 years ago

We had a Persian Shield (Strobilanthes - don't know the subtype) that grew to a huge size in one summer in Madison.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia entry on Persian Shield

• laurampls
    15 years ago

Cimicifuga 'Hillside Black Beauty' has darker foliage than 'Brunette' and it seems to stay dark even in shade. Heuchera 'Obsidian' also stays dark in shade. I also like sedum 'Purple Emperor' or 'Xenox'.

• dirtbert
    15 years ago

It's an annual but I like the purple basil. I grow it every year as an accent plant in my containers, baskets and gardens. Easy to start from seed and adds a nice contrast to the everyday greenery.

• selkie_b
    15 years ago

Many of the Thalictrum species (Meadow Rue) have purplish stems and foliage, particularly the giant ones like "Blackstockings" for dark purple and "Elin" for a lighter bluish purple.

-Marie

• trinityklm
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for sharing your favorites. I'd love to hear more. I've enjoyed looking them all up. I have some new items on my wish list!

• deeje
    15 years ago

How about heuchera Obsidian, or salvia Purple Knockout? Their foliage is really brightening up my garden right now.

And while it's not exactly purple, penstemon Husker Red is awfully pretty right now as well.

• justretired
    15 years ago

Can someone tell me where you find Salvia Purple Knockout? I have looked at a couple of local nurseries websites and have not been able to find it. I know Bluestone has it but would rather buy a plant I can see.

Gerten's??? Lindners?

Thanks, JR

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

Last year Home Depot carried the Purple Knockout salvia. Don't know if they have it again this spring.

• deeje
    15 years ago

I bought my Purple Knockout last year at Thomsen's in central MN -- not much help if you live in the metro, sorry.

• trinityklm
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm pretty sure they don't have it at the Linder's tent in Monticello, and Steve's Nursery in Elk River doesn't have anything right now, so they definitely don't have that one either.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for you, though!

• justretired
    15 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions of where to find purple knockout. Will have to keep my eyes open wherever I go. It is a beauty!

JR

• hmcdouga23
    15 years ago

How about the Charmed wine variety of oxalis? Or the purple varieties of sweet potato vine? Or the purple variety of sage?

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County