Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cost of Plants and Shrubs this year

Posted by belle_michele zone4Minnesota (My Page) on
Wed, May 29, 13 at 14:35

Is it just me or has the cost of plants gone crazy this year?
Even what I used to call 'cheapo annuals' such as petunias, seed geraniums, etc. has gotten very pricey for my taste.

I realize the cost of everything has gone up but WOW!

Now granted I still see a lot of people pulling up a cart filled with well over a hundred dollars worth of high end annuals...but I have never been one of those people.

I always bought the 'cheapie' annuals to fill planters, etc., and 'invested' my money in perienniels and shrubs/bushes.

Even the price of common perienniels has gotten a little too rich for my blood-the prices having at least doubled and this includes the smaller, 'starter' plants too.

This goes for the 'big box' stores as well.

I lost quite a few plants and a couple of shrubs this winter and am working on replacing them but YIKES, even the smaller 'starter' plants and bushes have gotten spendy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cost of Plants and Shrubs this year

Yes, it seems that plant and seed prices are much higher this year all across the country.

I see, in another post, that you like Burnt Ridge nursery. I checked out there site and they do have very good pricing. Did you like the size, quality, and packing of what you have ordered from them? Looks like they have a very good assortment.

o
RE: Cost of Plants and Shrubs this year

I lost a lot of perennials this year too. And right now my budget is extremely tight, I used to buy lots of annuals for my planters, and didn't think twice about picking up perennials to fill empty spots. This year is very challenging!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here