Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peege04

Foxglove

peege04
11 years ago

Some Foxglove are marketed as perennial now. Have others had success with that?

I've had 2 plants that returned for 1-3 years but all my other plants have died. This year those 2died also.

I just bought 6 new full plants and want to give them the best start possible. Was thinking of a pretty shady place and putting in a lot of compost to start. My garden has drip water, so I think the water part is covered.

Comments (15)

• windytown
    11 years ago

I've grown them off and on for twenty years. It's not the soil or water that guarantees their longevity. It's our climate that can and will eventually do them in. :(

'Foxy' foxglove when started from seed early indoors will bloom reliably the first year. I about died when I saw gallon containers at Home Depot, gorgeous and in full bloom for $24.99 a plant! I similarly saw gallon containers of full bloom cleome' at Cub Foods for $14.99. They come up like weeds if left to self seed. Unfortunately, foxglove does not do the same.

I love this guy's website - renegadegardener.com. He talks about how the plant growers market their product and what a scam it is sometimes. Lots of humor and good advice on gardening in our climate.

• peege04
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. So if I sow seeds for foxglove I'd get blooming plants? When do you sow? And when would first blooms then occur? If I can pester you again?

• leaveswave
    11 years ago

The seed pkg should give those details. I have more luck with penstemon/beardstongue in my soil.

• windytown
    11 years ago

Hi Peege,

The 'Foxy' variety of foxglove needs to be started indoors under lights in February. They bloomed for me in July if I recall correctly. A lot work and patience, but they are such beauties they make it worthwhile.

• Admit1
    11 years ago

This thread makes me sad :( I scored on a pair of foxglove, 2 for 9$ of just starting to bloom 1gal at Menards because they looked like garbage from the kids not watering them at the store. Brought em home, with lots of watering they spruced right up, the tag however said full sun which is causing me to water a bit more than I please but I sure do hope they come back from what this topic has me fearing :(

• windytown
    11 years ago

Admit1,

I hope your foxgloves are an exception to the rule. Truth be told, they are just not reliably hardy here in MN. Picture an English cottage-style garden with gorgeous foxgloves. Then consider their much milder climate.

On a positive note, delphiniums are also a big component in the cottage garden. They play a similar role with big spikes of gorgeous color. Some are even in the pinkish/purple realm if that is the color you are looking to add. This winter was very kind to delphiniums and they are putting on a beautiful display as I type. They've been reliably hardy as this is their sixth year of bloom.

Cut the spikes back after they bloom and you'll get a second flush of flowers. They'll not be as big, but still very pretty.

• garystpaul
    11 years ago

The only true perennial foxglove in my garden is digitalis ambigua grandiflora, the so-called "yellow foxglove." Digitalis mertonensis is supposed to be perennial also, but I've had only mixed luck getting it to come back for a second year.

Most foxgloves are biennials, so you need to do what you can to ensure their winter survival. if they come through, they'll bloom in their second year. Many a year I've seen them green and alive in early spring only to succumb to crown rot (this despite overwintering them in a special cold frame with excellent drainage). This year I've been lucky, about 10 are blooming now, and they're really beautiful. I grew them from seed in winter 2011; they spent last summer growing, and are now in bloom.

I've grown "Foxy' in the past and like it, but it's definitely not a perennial, at least not in my garden. It blooms the first year from seed and that's it.

In my experience, foxglove prefers a partially sunny location, not sun the whole day. They've done well for me in dappled shade even

Foxglove is one of my all-time favorite flowers and I've had a heck of a time with them, but I try year after year. My experience is pretty close to that of Windytown and while I do grow delphinium I'm too much of a foxglove fan to give up yet :-)

Good luck with yours.

Gary

• garystpaul
    11 years ago

Here are some pics, if I upload them correctly:

http://db.tt/ICtwWHHE

• garystpaul
    11 years ago

OK, that didn't work. I'll try one more time.

• windytown
    11 years ago

Gary,

Thank you for posting your lovely pics of the foxgloves! You are right. There's nothing that can compare. I live in a house now where we don't have the right shade component. Your pics are wonderful!

• Admit1
    11 years ago

how many hours of light should I be looking for on my Foxgloves they are of the "Foxy" variety. I feel like I am needing to water them way too much.

• windytown
    11 years ago

Mine received about four hours of afternoon sun. With the weather we're having right now, I'm watering everything daily. Looks like we'll get a break tonight over much of the state.

• garystpaul
    11 years ago

Agree with Windytown. Morning or afternoon sun, or dappled. If you're having to water excessively, then try a thick layer of mulch or, better, a nice cushion of compost topped with a good mulch. That should do the trick. When I've grown 'Foxy' I didn't get blooms until fairly late in the summer.

Gary

• garystpaul
    11 years ago

The purple-spotted ones in my pics are 'Pam's Choice.' I just ran across this site that has very useful information and thought I'd pass it along to GW readers.

http://www.gardenguides.com/70326-winterize-foxglove-pams-choice.html

Other foxglove tips pages will appear as well.

Gary

• windytown
    11 years ago

Gary,

That's good information. Thanks for passing it along.

Sponsored