Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fashionable late? Ajuga and Rozanne geranium

Posted by hoghaven_duluthmn (My Page) on
Mon, May 18, 09 at 14:59

Many of my plant ID tags have disappeared this spring and I also seem to have lost my mind this winter. So, I can't find my Rozanne gernaniums. Are these late showers, or perhaps they winter-killed?

Also, I have never had ajuga before and I planted about 30 as a ground cover last year. So far I have found 3 that have returned. This is an area that had deep snow cover and does not warm up too quick. Do I need to do a little Zen meditation or would it be worth it to go into a full-fledged panic? My concern is that this is on a slope that is at risk for erosion.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fashionable late? Ajuga and Rozanne geranium

I also planted ajuga last year and it was going great when winter hit. Very few came back. (Same with my nepeta, heleninramsey).

I think the problem is that late summer was pretty wet and I got lazy about watering. Then we had several very dry weeks followed by the freeze. I should have watered more in November. My beautiful canadian hemlock also got socked. I notice lots of other evergreens in other lawns with the same winter burn.

o
RE: Fashionable late? Ajuga and Rozanne geranium

Well, you are in a colder place than I am, and it seems that I have some really slow stuff in the colder parts of my yard. The temps are supposed to get nice and warm this week so that will be my test I guess. Maybe we need to be more patient or less paranoid. That is what I am telling myself (as I look at my roses that are making a terrible show of it...8 look damn near dead).

By the way, I never could find my plant tags, they always get raked up or something. So I have nooooo idea what a couple of things are, nor do I remember planting them. If one of them ends up being your geranium, I'll let ya know.

Helen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here