Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdwing_gw

creeping charlie in 4' pots at menards

birdwing
17 years ago

for 4.49. I couldn't believe my eyes. true, it was a slightly different kind with a a variegated leaf but still! It said creeping charlie right on the label and it said great groundcover! in the description. It was already starting to creep around and sucker on to other plants on the shelf. Maybe they sell it so you'll have to by all this other stuff to get rid of it...

Comments (12)

• leaveswave
    17 years ago

Well, it is a great groundcover--fast, attractive, pretty flowers, nice fragrance. And in their defence, oftentimes a variegated form of a plant is less invasive. But, still, IMO it's a lie by omission not to indicate how quickly it can "creep".

Ditto for Phalaris arundinacea (ribbon grass), Aegopodium podagraria (bishop's weed), most Campanulas, and many other commonly sold plants.

Caveat emptor -- good advice, indeed

• Julie
    17 years ago

That is pretty funny though- alarming- but funny all the same. Who knew if you painted a horse a different color- it would be "all the RAGE" he he-
    I have Charlie all over the place- some places it seems it is the only thing that will grow- It sure does look pretty with the yellow dandilions all those pretty blue flowers!- But then I remember what the neighbors think..... and what I think every time I look at my garden beds.....
    I once met a fellow who saw it for sale in hanging baskets at a farmers market labeled as 'Mother-in-Law" plant.....
    My own Mother in Law brought me some Creeping Jenny to keep Charlie company..... She's pretty funny too!

• birdwing
    Original Author
    17 years ago

whoa, I meant 4 inch pots not 4 foot pots. 4 foot pots almost might be a bargain...naah.

Campanula is that invasive really? I might not mind it. i have some but it seems to stay in neat little clumps.

• irrigationcontractor
    17 years ago

I would have been tempted to tell Walmart that unless they had dandelions and Canada Thistle, I wouldn't take the Creeping Charlie.

• MinnesotaSue_z4
    17 years ago

irrigationcontractor: it says Menards is selling it, not Wal*Mart. Menards is based out of Wisconsin if I remember correctly. I know we love to blame the evil empire but sometimes they don't deserve it.

• mimi_stpaul
    17 years ago

When I moved into this house 5 years ago, the only "plants" in the backyard were a patch of Bishops Weed and some Capanulas. I have been watching these 2 invasives very close and neither of them has spread one bit. My sister wanted to pull them out and I told her to just let them stay. Plants that well behaved deserve to live. BUT they sure better not get out of hand!!!!

• doucanoe
    17 years ago

If it wouldn't creep into my lawn at some point, I would actually consider getting some creeping charlie to plant on my septic mound!
    Building codes forced us to plant grass on the darn thing, but what a PITA to mow! Would like to put in a ground cover, but we would have to eradicate the grass first, or it seems it would defeat the purpose.
    I actually LIKE creeping charlie. Pretty leaves, pretty flowers, smells wonderful. But, it has that one bad habit....
    Linda

• crocosmia_mn
    17 years ago

My husband likes Creeping Charlie, too, so we let it be in the lawn. I take it right out of my flowerbeds, however. Actually, I enjoy the little rip-rip-rip-rip-rip as I remove it.

I have NOT enjoyed the last 18 years of weeding out the campanula that came with the house, nor does my next-door neighbor enjoy the lilies-of-the valley that came with hers --- yet you see these two for sale all the time.

• leftwood
    17 years ago

Linda, can you plant prairie grasses over you mound? I little praire would be fun. And "I don't know how theose forbs got in there. They must have seeded by themselves!"

Variegated creeping charlie has been around for many years. I remember growing it as a hanging basket in a greenhouse where I worked back in 1982. It is supposed to be not hardy here, and I beleive that to be true. Otherwise, I am sure we would see more than a few variegated creeping charlie lawns.

Rick

• vogt0047
    17 years ago

We've been trying to kill our creeping charlie for 3 years. I'm so tempted to roundup that crap already.

Ugh... when it creeps into my tulip beds I get miffed.

• jel48
    17 years ago

Maybe if Menards gets $4.49 a pot, we could all go into business..... I'd be glad to pot mine up to sell to Menards, say at $3 a pot. They could make a healthy $1.49 a pot profit and we could thin our creeping charlie crops out a little bit. Maybe we could even take our $3 a pot out in Round-up!

• chanhassenshannon
    17 years ago

Ha Ha! Sounds like the container gardening I did the first year I was married and had no money but lots of garage sale pots. On each stair up to my deck was a pot with a different weed in it! Some neigbors got the joke, others thought they were left over pots from the previous season! Personally my favorite is the "Hybrid Dandelion" that I found growing out of the tall weeds on a walk to the Park, It's hard to top a 3 1/2' dandelion. Miracle grow works really well to make weeds "Flourish"!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting