Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving Strawberries

Posted by guthriegatorfarm 3-4 (My Page) on
Sat, May 9, 09 at 15:49

What would be the best way to move my strawberries?
I planted them with my asparagus - this is year 3 - and they have just over-run the bed. I've tried to mulch around both, but they've just gone so crazy that it's become impossible. And the weeds seem to have figured out that if they grow up right near the plants they can get away with it because I don't pull them out for fear of pulling out my strawberry plants.

Anyway, I want them out of there. Once the asparagus comes up, I just want to be able to use my hoe to weed, put down a thick, straw mulch and be done with it.

So, I know I should have done it last fall, but it's too late for that now - there are already so many weeds in there - I just tried to weed it by hand and it was near impossible.
What would you do? The plants are just greening up and unfurling. I have no idea which are runners and which are the original plants. I do have beds ready to move them too - just not sure where to even start with moving them.

Should I do something now, or wait until runners start going and just move them? Or something else? Would appreciate any advice at all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving Strawberries

Those uppity weeds! I would try to study the plants and transplant the youngest looking plants and toss the rest. You just have to transplant as best you can, and not worry about it--the plants are surprisingly resilient provided they are not planted too deep or with the crown too high. Many books say to remove the blossoms the first year, but I don't think it really makes much difference--I doubt if you will get many berries this year after transplanting anyway. Just plant your berries and plan to go to a berry farm to do your major picking this year. If your plants have berries this year, well great!

o
RE: Moving Strawberries

Thanks so much. I'll give them a little more time - at least until more of the asparagus comes in so that I know just where it is - and then I'll just do what I can.

Live and learn. The whole garden is just one big experiment, right?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here