Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donutfish

End of the tulips

donutfish
13 years ago

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum here. I have been a vegetable gardener for a decade now and have really become passionate about my flower gardens now. Last fall I planted some 1600 bulbs in various gardens thinking that mass plantings would be the way to go. They of course looked pretty, but now the season has gone and many of the tulip leaves are turning yellow as are the seed pods. I started clipping some of the stems so they look I didn't so unsightly, but I didn't really plan for what should happen next.

What do people do when they plant that many...do they cut them all back and plant over the bulbs? Many of the areas are larger areas that don't have plants directly in the drifted areas. They all have taller backdrops like mature peonies, irises, hydrangeas and roses. I have one area with delphiniums coming up in the middle of the drift, but that's it. Do most people move there bulbs over when they plant within the drift in the Spring? I could probably attempt to plant in between some of the tulips, but many of them are only 6 inches apart and I'm concerned I'd beat up the bulbs too much. I'm looking for some advise. I'm not sure if I need to relocate the bulbs.

Also, has anyone had success planting the tulip seed from the seed pods or are they strictly propagated from splitting bulbs?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Van Metre Homes
Average rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Home Builder | 5x Best of Houzz