Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
End of the tulips

Posted by donutfish 4a (My Page) on
Thu, May 27, 10 at 16:12

Hello all,
I'm new to the forum here. I have been a vegetable gardener for a decade now and have really become passionate about my flower gardens now. Last fall I planted some 1600 bulbs in various gardens thinking that mass plantings would be the way to go. They of course looked pretty, but now the season has gone and many of the tulip leaves are turning yellow as are the seed pods. I started clipping some of the stems so they look I didn't so unsightly, but I didn't really plan for what should happen next.

What do people do when they plant that many...do they cut them all back and plant over the bulbs? Many of the areas are larger areas that don't have plants directly in the drifted areas. They all have taller backdrops like mature peonies, irises, hydrangeas and roses. I have one area with delphiniums coming up in the middle of the drift, but that's it. Do most people move there bulbs over when they plant within the drift in the Spring? I could probably attempt to plant in between some of the tulips, but many of them are only 6 inches apart and I'm concerned I'd beat up the bulbs too much. I'm looking for some advise. I'm not sure if I need to relocate the bulbs.

Also, has anyone had success planting the tulip seed from the seed pods or are they strictly propagated from splitting bulbs?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: End of the tulips

The bulbs should be deep enough that you can plant between the tulips. The tulips will be gone by mid-June anyway.

o

I've always understood that one should cut off the stem with the seedpod as soon as the petals fall. Of course, let the leaves remain and die back naturally.

You don't want the bulb to put energy into setting seed at the expense of feeding the bulb for next year's bloom. With the heat we've been experiencing, the tulip leaves are fading quickly this year. Sure, it looks a little ugly for awhile, but to me it's worth it. I've always interplanted bulbs amongst the perennials. They provide cover for the dying tulip and daffodil leaves.

o

If you want the tulips to return, leave the foliage at least until it is completely brown and dried out. Otherwise it can't store enough energy in the bulb to produce flowers in a subsequent year.

And the other poster has a good suggestion, interplant with something that takes about the same cultural conditions and leafs out and blooms later in the season.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here