Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eowynmn

When are you planting tomatoes/peppers?

eowynmn
16 years ago

Hey all,

Just curious when everyone is planting their veggies?

I was thinking of getting mine at the Friends sale this weekend, and then planting them next weekend, but I wanted to see what others were doing as this is my first year.

Thanks,

Erica

Comments (12)

• birdwing
    16 years ago

We have our tomatoes out as of this past weekend..

• deweymn
    16 years ago

I think that will be about a good time. I'm no expert by far but I think a lot has to do with soil temperature which must be related to air temperature during the night as well as the day.

I have a few containers that have had tomato and peppers in them since mid April. At that time I put some annuals in the ground, transplanted some hostas and roses. I tried a few tomato plants in the ground in sunny locations and they are ok but they have just now started to look like they are ready to take off. Perhaps during the cold soil temps they were sending out new roots underground? Or just being dormant. They were 6-8" tall at transplant time.

A couple of cukes died tho I kinda expected that. I started them too early and will just plant seeds this week. Some peas and beans were seeded 2 weeks ago and they are now crawling up a trellis.

If we had a late frost I would have lost a bunch but I gambled that we would not get one. So far so good. For a city yard with North exposure, I don't get early morning sun to warm things so planting early is probably no advantage. Best I stick to cold frames, hot frames and containers used for temporary homes for seedlings from the house. Those I have better morning sun exposure.

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

I put mine out yesterday. I put my basil out, too, but I cover it at night.

As you can see, I am not a patient person! LOL

Linda

• pumpkinpatch
    16 years ago

I planted my peppers, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, cukes, and cabbage on tuesday. My onions, Sno peas and green beans have been in for about 2 weeks and are doing well. I hope to plant the rest of my fruit/veggies this weekend!

• gamebird
    16 years ago

I planted mine last Saturday, which would be the 12th. I put in a hill of zucchini on the 15th (Tuesday). I still haven't planted my corn or beans yet. I plan to do that tomorrow. After that, I'll have everything in for my "first wave". I'll do a little filling in with lettuce, spinach or radishes.

• jel48
    16 years ago

Ours go in this coming weekend, I hope! I'd have had them in by now, but my husband likes veggie gardening and I have been being nice and leaving the veggies for him... and nothing.. NOTHIING in the ground yet. Not even radishes and lettuce and onions. I'm getting impatient :-)

• selkie_b
    16 years ago

Mine are out in their Earth Boxes as of Mother's Day. May have to replant one Caspian Pink and maybe one sweet pepper. Everything else looks great. Hot peppers went in day before yesterday.

-Marie

• sandysgardens
    16 years ago

Plan to plant some of the veggie garden today. I probably won't put my tomatoes and peppers into the main garden for another week. However I have earthboxes this year (yeah!!) and will be using several for tomatoes, one for hot peppers, and one for mild peppers that I plan to plant today.

Marie - how many peppers do you do to a box? What else have you put in your earthboxes this year?

Sandy

• selkie_b
    16 years ago

Sandy,

I get 8 sweet peppers per box! That's a LOT of peppers! :) I have 4 boxes (so 8) heirloom tomatoes, a box (a dozen) of violet podded stringless polebeans, a box of Charentes melons (4) which we've got special A-frame trellises for, and a box of 8 broccoli. Everything else is in pots and tubs (hot peppers, cherry toms, herbs)

-Marie

• jel48
    16 years ago

They're in! As of yesterday, just in time for that inch of rain we finally got last night. Plus, I weeded and planted all day (ornamentals not veggies) today, now that the ground was a little softer.

• pfeifer78
    16 years ago

Unfortunately, I was unable to get my peppers and tomatoes out of the pots and into the garden until June 1st. Will I have problems because I waited so long? They were in pots for about 6 weeks.

• jel48
    16 years ago

The June 1 tomatoes and peppers should be fine unless they are very long season (days to maturity) and we have an early frost. I've always put them in earlier, but before we were married 4 years ago, my husband never planted his until the first of June.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists