Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When are you planting tomatoes/peppers?

Posted by eowynmn (My Page) on
Wed, May 9, 07 at 16:27

Hey all,

Just curious when everyone is planting their veggies?

I was thinking of getting mine at the Friends sale this weekend, and then planting them next weekend, but I wanted to see what others were doing as this is my first year.

Thanks,
Erica

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When are you planting tomatoes/peppers?

We have our tomatoes out as of this past weekend..

o

I think that will be about a good time. I'm no expert by far but I think a lot has to do with soil temperature which must be related to air temperature during the night as well as the day.

I have a few containers that have had tomato and peppers in them since mid April. At that time I put some annuals in the ground, transplanted some hostas and roses. I tried a few tomato plants in the ground in sunny locations and they are ok but they have just now started to look like they are ready to take off. Perhaps during the cold soil temps they were sending out new roots underground? Or just being dormant. They were 6-8" tall at transplant time.

A couple of cukes died tho I kinda expected that. I started them too early and will just plant seeds this week. Some peas and beans were seeded 2 weeks ago and they are now crawling up a trellis.

If we had a late frost I would have lost a bunch but I gambled that we would not get one. So far so good. For a city yard with North exposure, I don't get early morning sun to warm things so planting early is probably no advantage. Best I stick to cold frames, hot frames and containers used for temporary homes for seedlings from the house. Those I have better morning sun exposure.

o

I put mine out yesterday. I put my basil out, too, but I cover it at night.

As you can see, I am not a patient person! LOL

Linda

o

I planted my peppers, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, cukes, and cabbage on tuesday. My onions, Sno peas and green beans have been in for about 2 weeks and are doing well. I hope to plant the rest of my fruit/veggies this weekend!

o

I planted mine last Saturday, which would be the 12th. I put in a hill of zucchini on the 15th (Tuesday). I still haven't planted my corn or beans yet. I plan to do that tomorrow. After that, I'll have everything in for my "first wave". I'll do a little filling in with lettuce, spinach or radishes.

o

• Posted by jel48 Z3/4 Minnesota (My Page) on
    Thu, May 17, 07 at 22:05

Ours go in this coming weekend, I hope! I'd have had them in by now, but my husband likes veggie gardening and I have been being nice and leaving the veggies for him... and nothing.. NOTHIING in the ground yet. Not even radishes and lettuce and onions. I'm getting impatient :-)

o

Mine are out in their Earth Boxes as of Mother's Day. May have to replant one Caspian Pink and maybe one sweet pepper. Everything else looks great. Hot peppers went in day before yesterday.

-Marie

o

Plan to plant some of the veggie garden today. I probably won't put my tomatoes and peppers into the main garden for another week. However I have earthboxes this year (yeah!!) and will be using several for tomatoes, one for hot peppers, and one for mild peppers that I plan to plant today.

Marie - how many peppers do you do to a box? What else have you put in your earthboxes this year?

Sandy

o

Sandy,

I get 8 sweet peppers per box! That's a LOT of peppers! :) I have 4 boxes (so 8) heirloom tomatoes, a box (a dozen) of violet podded stringless polebeans, a box of Charentes melons (4) which we've got special A-frame trellises for, and a box of 8 broccoli. Everything else is in pots and tubs (hot peppers, cherry toms, herbs)

-Marie

o

Sun, May 20, 07 at 20:22

They're in! As of yesterday, just in time for that inch of rain we finally got last night. Plus, I weeded and planted all day (ornamentals not veggies) today, now that the ground was a little softer.

o

Unfortunately, I was unable to get my peppers and tomatoes out of the pots and into the garden until June 1st. Will I have problems because I waited so long? They were in pots for about 6 weeks.

o

Wed, Jun 13, 07 at 22:16

The June 1 tomatoes and peppers should be fine unless they are very long season (days to maturity) and we have an early frost. I've always put them in earlier, but before we were married 4 years ago, my husband never planted his until the first of June.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here