Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hotspur_gw

privacy vines in shade

hotspur
17 years ago

I would like to grow a vine(s) that will ensure privacy from the neighbors. However, the area is mostly shade. Does anyone know of a vine that grows well and fast in the shade? Thanks a lot.

Comments (13)

• leaveswave
    17 years ago

wild grape and virginia creeper fit both your criteria.

• Julie
    17 years ago

Yes- both of those would grow in part shade- although- those are both horribly invasive. If either ever set fruit- and the critters got to them- there would be more all over the place- as there is in my yard. Another note- if they were to run along the ground- they would set roots down all along the way- hence the name creeper- Also- they grow long and tall quickly- not wide. But if you want either of those- come on over! You would be doing me a favor of weeding them out!
    I would opt for adlumina fungosa- it may take a while to enjoy the privacy it would provide- but well worth the effort and patience!
    Many Ivy plants prefer part shade and will grow quickly- although they are not hardy. You could bring them in for the winter- or take cuttings and root them over the winter for next year.
    You could also consider trailing plants in hanging containers- or part shade shrubs like honeysuckel.
    I do remember reading some where on GW about shade vines.... that is where I learned about adlumina fungosa and others I cannot remember, but I don't remember where. Maybe a search on the GW site will provide you with the best choices for your site.
    Julie

• leaveswave
    17 years ago

'horribly invasive' of course being a relative term. First there is the perception of the gardener, then there is the factors of each unique site. My neighbor has both and I haven't noticed or heard of it being particularly invasive. They cover his fences quite nicely.

• Julie
    17 years ago

Yeah- well you've got a point there Leaves-
    I came to this property about 20 years ago with well established grapes and creeper- So established if fact that the grapes went up the phone pole, along the phone and power lines and all though the neighbors HUGE pine tree- and all through the Oaks and Elms out back- smothering those great big beauties- The grapes on my fence look like a beautiful hedge border all summer- but if I do not prune them considerably and cosistantly all summer long I would never get the gates open- and it would take over the yard setting roots as it goes- There is much work involved that I sometimes wish I didn't have to go through-
    The creeper comes up all over the place- and does the same thing at a much faster rate. I do like it growing up my stucco house- but it continiously invades the beds and creepes out to the yard at an alarming rate- my husband has to trim it 2 or 3 times a year to keep it off of the roof and lifting shingels, It covers the ground all through the back where I have pulled buckthorn out and it gives the appearance of healthy growth in the woods- but that is not the case- it too smothers even the largest of trees and set roots as it goes- It deters native growth- and will easily take over where ever it establishes itself.
    I do agree it is beautiful in the fall with all of it's red leaves abaze and turning burgundy- and it keeps the heat of the sun off of the south wall of my house- and adds interesting texture to the stucco with all of it's "feet" that stay stuck for years after the plant is gone-
    I do have these plants- and will keep them even though I curse them- I will also freely share these with any who care for them- but I will not do so without warning them. As much as I work to "controll" them- at any time of the year you can see the damage they have caused to my and my neighbors property- it's damage is also quite visible in most all more natural parks- The forester for Plymouth has crews out to remove grapes- creeper and buckthorn- as do several other cities in the metro area-
    But to each there own-

• zenpotter
    17 years ago

Julie, Does it dammage the stucco? I have heard that if it gets heavy enough it can pull the stucco rith off of a house and I was wondering if that is true. Almost all of the houses in our area are stucco and some have vines. I like the look, but worry about dammage.
    Pauline

• meeperx
    17 years ago

Not exceptionally fast-but my mother has a very nice, large american bittersweet growing in a partly shaded spot.

• Julie
    17 years ago

Pauline- I could see where that could happen if the stucco was not adheared well to begin with. It could compound a pre-existing problem- but I don't think it could cause it all on it's own.
    Hey there Meerpex-
    I too have bittersweet growing up the garage on a trellis. I had purchased one from a reputable source and then found out you need male and female plants to form flowers (Like I had when I first moved in out back before the Creeper and grapes and currants crowded it all out....). So I went to Franks and bought American Bittersweet from them too- and now I have 2 plants that look different- I hope that one is not the asian variety which is reported to take over.... I am hopeing to identify them if they ever do bloom....
    My Bittersweet are in FULL sun- I didn't know they could grow in shade.
    I have 2 Loncera one in most shade well- actually- they both are- and are doing O.K. Maybe some day I will see them bloom as well.

• meeperx
    17 years ago

I think a bittersweet prefers sun-but it can take a while to get to the top of its tree host-so it has to be fairly shade tolerent too!

Did you really find a morel in your garden? Leave it-maybe it will make more :lol:

• Julie
    17 years ago

Yep- I was digging in a "nursery " bed and sweeping the oak leaves out of the way and one stuck- and then I saw what I was looking at! I bet after last nights rain it will be prime for the eating!
    I do scatter bits of them while collecting in hopes to create more- but I don't really know why they grow where they grow when they grow.......

• doucanoe
    17 years ago

Oh Julie, you lucky duck! I have been scouring my woods in hopes of finding a morel or two, but nothing!

Back to the topic at hand...

I bought a Porcelain Berry vine last year to plant in aprt-shade spot, but someone told me it was terribly invasive, too. So I didn't put it in. I have been looking for shade-loving vines since.
    For now I have begun training wild grape that I found near two of my beds up a trellis. Wonder if they will ever produce fruit?

Linda

• parrotslave
    17 years ago

I planted a purple winter creeper as a ground cover in a shady corner and it climbed a six foot fence. I think it is the only thing holding the old wooden fence together now. It provides a very attractive background for my William Baffin rose and chokes out almost all weeds.

• lynnsherbs
    17 years ago

My vote would be for Clematis - we have a Polish Spirit (viticella) and Duchess of Albany (texensis) which bloomed much of the summer in more shade than sun. The Polish Spirit is particularily impressive because it's in a very nasty place that holds water in early spring, then turns very dry in autumm. I kid you not - it bloomed straight through from June - frost! They do take a couple of years to get established, but are well worth the effort.

If you're looking for something fast - speaking from personal experience, get a fence. You will be amazed at the difference it makes!

Lynn

• tania_10
    17 years ago

Lynn,

Where did you purchase Polish Spirit and Duchess?

Thanks,

Tania

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor