Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to Board & Question

Posted by ktkendrick (My Page) on
Thu, May 18, 06 at 16:28

My husband & I just moved to Plymouth after living in downtown Minneapolis the last couple years, so this will be our first year that we can garden in Minnesota. I grew up in CA and husband in FL, so gardening here is a little different.

We have several areas in our yard that are pretty well shaded - they get a little sun but not much and it's not usually direct. Currently there are lots of hostas growing but I'd like to put in either vegetables or herbs. Any suggestions on what would grow well in those areas?

Thanks! Katie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to Board & Question

Here's a link that might help. You might also want to consider "limbing up" some of your larger non-conifer trees to get more sunlight.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shade Plants -- Vegetables

o

Hi there and Welcome!
You will find you choices very limited by CA standards- but what does grow here- does it with gusto!
Try- Agasache, Sage, Oregano, Perilla, Chives, Tarragon, some Thyme, Fennels, Mints-
I don't know about vegies much....
Please, be sure to .look at the exchange area of this forum and join us at the swap if you are able- great folks and plants are a certainty!
Julie

o

Hi and welcome -

Despite what veggies are suggested for growing in the shade, few do much at all. I take care of the garden at Cooks of Crocus Hill in St. Paul and tried for several years to grow veggies that supposedly liked shade but finally gave up. Some areas of the west side of the garden gets 6 hours of sun and I get a decent crop of lettuce, some herbs, and some strawberries. For a new gardener this maybe seem to be alright, but when I compare the yield with my market garden that gets 14 hours of direct sun the yield pretty lame. I suggest you might be able to do some pots closer to the house that you can arrange in sunny areas. Many veggies do well in pots and they also can be very decroative.

o

Hi, Katie. I probably live quite near you. My garden is mostly sun, but I do have some shady areas. Drop me a note if you want come by sometime and get the 2-cent tour.

o

Welcome Katie
Sally

o

Welcome Katie

Pauline

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here