Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rudebekia

Heuchera or other Shade recommendations?

Rudebekia
11 years ago

I'm looking for a low growing, hardy perennial that's any color but plain green (ferns and hostas behind it; an oak tree above) for a north-facing shady area next to the garage. I love purple heucheras, but are any predictably hearty in such conditions? If not, any suggestions? Thanks.

Comments (7)

• garystpaul
    11 years ago

Hi, Marita

My experience with the darker heucheras (like purple) is that they need more sun than others. Even though I often go against conventional wisdom, I wouldn't try them in a north-facing site. But how about the silvery-white lamiums? They're certainly hardy enough.

• garystpaul
    11 years ago

Hi, Marita

My experience with the darker heucheras (like purple) is that they need more sun than others. Even though I often go against conventional wisdom, I wouldn't try them in a north-facing site. But how about the silvery-white lamiums? They're certainly hardy enough.

• icekream
    11 years ago

how much sun do you get? I have some purple heucheras in shade (gets about 1-2 hours of early morning sun) that has been doing extremely well. Doesn't multiply as well as the ones in more sun, but still good.

Try the Japanese fern, see my link below. They're very pretty and fairly low to the ground (has some purple in it). This will do well in shade for sure! Mine is going on the 2nd year and still quite small. My neighbor has a full grown bush and they don't get any higher than 12 inch.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• kaptainkr
    11 years ago

I love Japanese ferns. I think they look great mass planted. Another plant I like is the Color Flash Astilbe. The leaves are green, purple and burgundy. They do get about a foot or so high but they are really cool and I've had good luck so far.

Here is a link that might be useful: images for color flash astilbe

• boyle014
    11 years ago

Ajuga does great in shade, even dry shade. It's also called bugleweed. It's low to the ground and has pretty blue spikes of flowers in the spring. Looks nice even without the flowers though. Look for a varietal that has purple leaves. I think mine might be "chocolate chip," but I'm not sure. Some varietals make a beautiful contrast with Japanese fern, which others have recommended.

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions! I ended up planting two rather sizable "Blackout" heucheras and so far (knock on wood) they seem to be thriving in the location. I just fell in love with them in the nursery--love, love, love the color! Behind them are some lime green ferns and dark green hostas, so the effect is quite striking. I have other shady areas to fill in, so your suggestions will come in handy.

• peege04
    11 years ago

Sounds like you've got it figured out. Some other heucheras you might want to check: Crimson Curls (very red tones), Carmel (nice warm tones), Snow Angel (very nice variegated green and white with bright pink flowers), Key Lime ( yellow/green).

Tradescantia does well in shade, flowers and some have variegated foliage.

I have to work with loads of shade,nso have tried many things.