Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raised Bed Groundcover

Posted by Saskia_L MN (My Page) on
Tue, May 10, 11 at 17:08

I'm looking for opinions on vinca as a groundcover in a raised bed. I know that vinca can be invasive, but the spot I'm looking to put it (this won't be until next spring) is a large round raised bed (3 ft high) backing up to a concrete porch slab. The reading I've done tells me invasiveness shouldn't be a problem in such a controlled area, but I'd love some opinions before I make a decision.

If more info would help, the raised bed is on a front, west facing corner of the house and currently contains a crabapple tree, about eight years old. It has crabapple blight. I have four crabapples and they all have it, but they're about 2/3 through some sort of treatment program from a tree service. The raised bed has rock, not mulch, and some sort of creeping junipers. I've tried for YEARS to get those stupid junipers to fill in the raised bed, but even though they're healthy, they are very uncooperative so I will be removing both the junipers and the rock and transplanting the whole lot to a large bed under three pin oaks in the backyard. The crabapple will remain in the raised bed in the front and I'd like to mulch the bed and plant a groundcover that will actually fill it in. I need something hardy that can take both sun and shade, and I'd like something that flowers and has nice green foliage. I've had vinca in that same spot before and it really thrived with absolutely no attention paid to it beyond the sprinkler system, although it was in a couple of containers set on the rock ledge of the bed and I basically used it as an annual.

It seems like vinca would fit my needs very well, but I'd really appreciate input from others. I'm not in a hurry to make a decision, as I won't actually be doing this project until next spring.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raised Bed Groundcover

There was vinca here when we moved in 22 years ago and it's still in the same place as when we moved here. It's semi contained and once every two or three years I might have to pull up a plant or two that are creeping out of the semi contained area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here