Second day of street renovation.....

Comments (10)

• jenswrens
    17 years ago

Ack! What the heck?

• ginkgonut
    17 years ago

Looks like a beautiful block.

It'll be interesting to see if the boulevard tree survives this. It looks like they really hacked the roots apart.

• taft
    17 years ago

Hey, there's no finesse when working with a backhoe! Actually, you'd be surprised to know that most of the trees they have to decimate for these projects usually show no signs what-so-ever of stress. The trade-off is...either you have water and sewer services or you have an undisturbed yard.

Count your blessings crocosmia...when we did our renovation the entire yard...all four sides of it...were dug up. It wasn't safe to let my kids play outside there were trenches going every direction. My yard is still recovering and that was 3 summer's ago. Totally destroyed my huge perennial bed. But, we only had to take down one tree in the process so I counted myself as lucky with that because the contractor (my H) wanted to take two trees down because they were in the way.

Your neighborhood is gorgeous. What a lovely place to live. :)

• jel48
    17 years ago

Yes, it looks like a lovely neighborhood crocosnia, even if it does look like you have one of the worlds biggest potholes in the middle of your front sidewalk :-)

It can only get better from here on out, right?

• zenpotter
    17 years ago

Look at it as a way to do some boulevard planting. Are you in Minneapolis? I am and that looks a lot like Mpls housing. Vary inviting.

• crocosmia_mn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I do love my neighborhood -- it's right on the edge of Summit Hill in St. Paul. The house was really cheap 18 years ago! There are boulevard gardens all up and down my whole street.......except for my own block. Perhaps I'll be the first to plant one, maybe next year.

It's been fun to watch all the big machines working 12 hours a day and I rather enjoy DESTRUCTION that doesn't hurt anybody -- a huge digger pulling a huge elm tree stump out of the ground is truly a sight to see! It also snapped whole sidewalk slabs like crackers. And that "pothole" would literally have contained my whole car! Also, as a bonus, the construction workers were really nice and one even asked me the names of my tulips because he thought his wife would like them.

Nancy

• taft
    17 years ago

Nancy, I want you to know how much I have been enjoying your photo here! I come here and have to open this thread just to look at your lovely neighborhood! I don't live in town but if I did, I would want to live in a tranquil area like yours. :)

Yes, backhoes are very destructive and there is little that they can't tear through.

How nice of the employee to comment on your flowers though. His mother raised him right didn't she?!!

• judy_4
    17 years ago

Where do you live in Minn. Fergus Falls?

• crocosmia_mn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ha! Now I'm making use of all the road construction to get rid of the sand and rocks (construction debris from when the house was built 100 years ago) from the new garden bed I'm digging in the front! It's so convenient to have various places to throw it just a few steps away.

The thin layer of dirt between the grass and the sand has been going to help restore my next door neighbors' slope, which was dug into by the big shovel searching for the water pipe. My dog, who never digs in my garden, is having a wonderful time helping with this earth moving project.

• eubbie
    17 years ago

I love the picture of your dog! My mutt would be out of his mind with joy if he could dig in a pile of dirt. All he hears all summer is "Outta there".