Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sweet Woodruff

Posted by doucanoe MN3/4 (My Page) on
Sat, May 5, 07 at 17:36

I picked some up today and have seen mixed reviews on it in my searches. Some claim it is extremely invasive, some say it is not. Looks like it is a pest in warmer climates, but possibly manageable here? I have lots of shade, heavy clay soil, and several spots I could let it go nuts if it so chose.

Anyone here have any experience with it that they could share before I settle on a spot to plant it?

Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sweet Woodruff

I have sweet woodruff in an area that receives some am sun, but not much. I have had it for four years now and it has not gotten out of control, yet. But if it does I guess I will be able to share.

o

I've tried growing sweet woodruff two years in a row, and both years it died out over the winter. I guess it being invasive hasn't been a problem for me, unfortunately!

o

I planted a bunch in different shady spots last summer and it's barely hanging
on..my mom has quite a bit in her shady yard but it doesn't seem invasive.

o

Great, thanks! Based on that info I am going to put it in a great spot in my garden!

Then we'll see if I still have it next year, huh? LOL

Linda

o

• Posted by john_w Z4a Minn, US (My Page) on
    Sun, May 6, 07 at 10:42

It's a spreader for sure, but it stops at the sun for me. Mine is along the east side of the house and has taken over all available soil. It works through hosta and around other perennials with no negative effect. My woodruff fails when it encounters the south side of the house where the sun is stronger.

I've had it in the same spot for years. It marches under everything. Right now it is at its most beautiful with fresh, green leaves and little white flowers. A great little plant.

o

a spreader in my yard. just planted it last year in full shade and under a maple, and this spring it's doubled in size...

o

It doesn't last for me. I think it wants a bit more moisture and less competition.

Ted

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here