Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rudebekia

May I Hear About/See Your Container Gardens Please?

Rudebekia
14 years ago

I'm new to my 100 year old house in St. Paul, and I'd like to plant some big pots or urns for a few areas of the backyard. The area is mostly sun, some shade. I'd like to do colorful annuals with (perhaps) a perennial or two that can overwinter. I may also do one container with a tomato and some herbs. As you plant your containers this spring may I ask you to share what you are planting? A photo would really help, too. Thanks!

Comments (3)

• selkie_b
    14 years ago

I use Earth Boxes and have had wonderful luck with them! I've even taken ribbons at the State Fair for my tomatoes I grew in them. I do pole beans in them with a frame my husband built for them to climb up on, broccoli, sweet and hot peppers, and with an A-frame set up for climbers I even grow Charentais melons in them. I've even done popcorn!

-Marie

• regattagirl
    14 years ago

I've got some photos of last year if you'd email me, I can send you a link.

• guthriegatorfarm
    14 years ago

I used to do a lot of container gardening, mostly tomatoes and peppers. Loved it - no weeding!

One summer I did some experimenting, trying to see how large of a tomato I could grow in how small of a pot --- it was super dry and hot that year and I was having the hardest time keeping them all watered, even having to dash home on my lunchbreak! What I finally did was to place them all in a kiddy swimming pool full of water. Worked great! I've done it since if it's going to be warm and we have to go out of town for a few days.