Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
May I Hear About/See Your Container Gardens Please?

Posted by marita40 minnesota (My Page) on
Mon, May 11, 09 at 18:03

I'm new to my 100 year old house in St. Paul, and I'd like to plant some big pots or urns for a few areas of the backyard. The area is mostly sun, some shade. I'd like to do colorful annuals with (perhaps) a perennial or two that can overwinter. I may also do one container with a tomato and some herbs. As you plant your containers this spring may I ask you to share what you are planting? A photo would really help, too. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: May I Hear About/See Your Container Gardens Please?

I use Earth Boxes and have had wonderful luck with them! I've even taken ribbons at the State Fair for my tomatoes I grew in them. I do pole beans in them with a frame my husband built for them to climb up on, broccoli, sweet and hot peppers, and with an A-frame set up for climbers I even grow Charentais melons in them. I've even done popcorn!

-Marie

o

I've got some photos of last year if you'd email me, I can send you a link.

o

I used to do a lot of container gardening, mostly tomatoes and peppers. Loved it - no weeding!

One summer I did some experimenting, trying to see how large of a tomato I could grow in how small of a pot --- it was super dry and hot that year and I was having the hardest time keeping them all watered, even having to dash home on my lunchbreak! What I finally did was to place them all in a kiddy swimming pool full of water. Worked great! I've done it since if it's going to be warm and we have to go out of town for a few days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here