Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdwing_gw

fast ground cover for steep slope

birdwing
17 years ago

I would like to find a hardy plant that will spread quickly for a very steep slope in the front of our house. one side is medium shade one side is sun/shade. I know pachysandra might work but I was hoping for something different. any ideas?

We plan on putting a tuckunder garage there in a couple years so don't want to spend a bunch of money only to have to tear it all out. So this is basically some stop gap landscaping. It's impossible to mow and looks like heck so we gotta do something!

Comments (7)

• meeperx
    17 years ago

You can get vinca pretty cheaply on ebay. 200 bare root for $20.

Here is a link that might be useful: ebay link

• zenpotter
    17 years ago

I live on a hill and have lot's of steep slope to plant on in both shade, part shade and sun. I don't have all fast growing plants , but here are some that are.
    sedum-variegated Kamschatka, day lilies, bishops weed, Fragaria Lipstick - alpine Strawberry, spider wort and I will probably think of more later.
    Check out my answer to "Need 1 Gallon Pots" I posted several sites where you can get free or cheap stuff and right now people are posting plants. I got several bags of host over the weekend. Send me an e-mail I have a few things I can give you. I am in south Mpls.

Pauline

• Julie
    17 years ago

You know- ground cover is another word for invasive, to many that is...
    For part sun to shade- Archangle Lambium- Bishops Weed- Lily of the Valley- Violets- Ajuga- All of the above could be used- sprinkle a bit of Alyssum seed inbetween plantings to help this year look fuller- well, for that matter- annual Allysum could be used alone with beautiful and great smelling results... Or for taller plants- spread annual Nicotiana seeds- they will make produce a heavenly scent every evening!
    I have found that Pachysandra is slower to establish itself into a rich mat then I ever thought!
    I wish you full hillsides.
    Julie

• meeperx
    17 years ago

Oh yeah-bishops weed spreads like crazy. Ostrich ferns would also take over the world if they could.

• zenpotter
    17 years ago

Oh I know bishops weed is crazy, but if you want to cover a hill with somehting cheap and fast and then in a few years replace it with a garage why not. If you don't want to use something that wants to take over the world don't use it.

I have it in a spot that nothing else would grow and it is growing there.

Pauline

• birdwing
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks all for the great info. I've been out this afternoon
    weeding/clearing these slopes. each one is about 25x25 feet on both sides of the front steps. I have some ostrich fern and lily of the valley around my yard so i'm going to start moving some on to the hill. I've been trying to turn a blind eye to it but it seems like this garage thing is not the highest priority right now so I've got to do something.

They did have pachysandra on ebay 25 plants for 7.99. Have any of you ever ordered plants off ebay??

I'm also going to start telling everyone I know I'll take any of their invasives off their hands. Believe me nothing could be more invasive than the creeping charlie, dandelions and crabgrass growing there now.

pauline, I appreciate the offer alot! I may take you up on it when I figure out what to do. Actually some neighbors are coming out of the woodwork with all kinds of ideas.

Is bishop's weed sometimes called snow on the mountain? i think that's what my mom calls it.

• Julie
    17 years ago

Yep it is- I have some you could help yourself to as well- as well as other things for that area-
    If you are interested- send me an E-Mail and I will give you my address-
    Julie

Sponsored