Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best MN source for heirloom tomatoes

Posted by emfdvm z4 MN (My Page) on
Thu, May 13, 10 at 18:15

Hi all- I'm new/returned to Minnesota, and wondering where I can find a good selection of heirloom tomato plants. I'm looking a few other veg plants as well, eggplant and anything else that looks intriguing.

Also, for unusual varieties of perennials, where do folks have the best luck?

I'm in Edina, so west and south sides of town are better.

Thanks!!
Ellen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best MN source for heirloom tomatoes

For the unusual I go to http://www.tangletowngardens.com/ in Southwest Mpls.or http://www.thehighlandnursery.com/home.php
I have also added a link to a thread from 05 with the names of nurseries. I noticed at least one that is no longer in business the building of a new Lowe's drove them out. It is Rice Creek Gardens.

An interesting side note here folks, the home page for Highland nursery is saying that they may have to close because of an 800% raise in taxes. They are looking for support in the way of letters etc to help them stay there.

Here is a link that might be useful: GW list from 05

o

Hi, Ellen

This is not west or south, but several vendors at the St. Paul Farmer's Market are offering heirloom tomato plants, and lots of 'em. Gary

o

zenpotter - Rice Creek Nursery in Blaine closed due to tax issues also (well before Lowes came in). I believe a Saturn dealership was supposed to move into their location, but you know that story... Anyway, I believe Rice Creek specializes in peonies and is selling out of Southeastern MN named Hidden Springs Flower Farm. I have yet to order from them, but will have to give them a try.

o

If you are willing to travel a few miles west on 7 (pretty drive), Holasek's in Lester Prairie has a great selection. Really nice all around selection for all kinds of plants.

Here's a link to their heirloom selection:

Here is a link that might be useful: Holasek's heirloom tomatoes

o

Does anyone know if Brewery Creek Farm Market closed after the owner died? I haven't been able to find any information, and that's not far from me at all.

Thanks for the other information- it's always good to add to the list!
ellen

o

Last fall when we passed by it appeared to have been closed, no plants outside and gates closed. We were disappointed as we had always stopped whenever we were in the area.

o

I usually buy many of my heirlooms from the Bloomington Garden Center--they generally have 6-8 varieties--standards like Brandywine, Black Krim, Striped German, etc. Bachman's in Richfield has quite a few this year.
I was past Brewery Creek on Saturday, and it's for sale. ):

o

Shady Acres located on Hwy 212 is still open until June 20th they are only open a couple of months. They have lots of heirloom tomatoes and other veggie plants. I go there every year to buy plants. Here is the link take a look.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shady Acres Herb Farm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here