Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thyme, Sage, Mint: Why Don't They Come Back In The Spring?

Posted by FlyingPenguin MN (My Page) on
Wed, May 4, 11 at 19:10

Hello,

Has anyone had any success with getting either thyme, sage, or mint to survive a MN winter and come back in the spring? According to what I've read, these herbs are supposed to be winter-hardy (in fact, everyone says that once you plant mint, you'll never be rid of it...!). But I've tried twice now and each time nothing comes back in the spring. Is there a trick to getting them to come back? Could I be doing something wrong? (I have all three in a self-contained permanent planter in my back yard.)

My oregano and chives come back just fine each spring, but these others don't seem to want to. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

Dave J

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thyme, Sage, Mint: Why Don't They Come Back In The Spring?

Thyme and mint come back just fine for me. Sage....not so much.

Maybe it's the variety. Maybe it's the location in your garden. Maybe it's how much you mulch. Heck....I dunno.

Linda

o

Can you describe what you mean by a self-contained permanent planter? Is it a raised planter or bed. If the plants are near the edge of a raised bed they may not be getting enough winter protection.

o

It's a raised barrel planter. Thanks for responding. Can you recommend anything in particular that might help?

o

Is it possible to move the barrel into a garage over winter? That might help you gain some extra hardiness. Plants in containers don't have the protection that plants in the ground do.

o

If you can't move your barrel you could try placing bags of leaves around and over it for extra winter protection. Another option would be potting up small pots of your herbs and keeping them in the garage over the winter. I have not had much success trying to overwinter herbs indoors. Rosemary survives but the others die.

o

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I hadn't considered that they might be less protected in the planter than they'd be in the ground. I might have to re-think what gets planted where this year. :)

(For what it's worth, I had great success with overwintering some of my herbs indoors this year in my hydroponic Aerogarden. I'm really pleased with how this worked out, as I too have had trouble keeping herbs alive indoors in the winter in past years. However, I didn't do this with the thyme, sage, or mint, as I had hopes of them surviving the winter outside...)

o

The rule of thumb over on the bonsai forum is that you plant something two zones hardier that you otherwise would when overwintering outdoors in pots. Therefore, in a zone 4 area, you'd need plants rated down to zone 2 to survive in your set-up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here