Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soilent_green

New Ulm Plant Exchange.

soilent_green
12 years ago

I went to the New Ulm Garden Club Annual Plant Exchange today (Saturday May 14). It was a little quieter than usual this year - I suspect the poor weather we have been experiencing has put people in a bit of a gardening funk. Many people do not seem to realize that this crappy weather is perfect for transplanting - the plants usually suffer very little shock from the disturbance.

I took along 30 plants that I had dug up and potted two weeks ago so they all had recovered nicely from any transplant shock. It is a one-for-one exchange so I could have taken 30 plants in return, but I only took 20 to reduce my planting work and to contribute some extra plants to the exchange. Besides, my gardens are mostly full and it is hard to find room so I only look for rare or unusual varieties, or varieties I do not have yet. Got some nice plants in return. All my new babies are already in the ground - I planted in the rain once again. Seems like a regular occurrence this year. :-(

Varieties I took to trade, all potted:

(5) Ostrich Ferns

(5) Lily of the Valley

(8) Common Garden Phlox

(3) Scarlet Bee Balm

(4) Evening Primrose

(2) Bloodroot

(1) Peony

(2) unknown variety of Hosta

Varieties I received in trade:

(1) Stella d'Oro Daylily (I divided into 3 plants.)

(1) Spearmint

(1) Japanese Iris (I divided into 3 plants.)

(2) Corydalis

(3) Prairie Blue Eyes

(1) Bloody Cranesbill Geranium

(2) Lavender

(1) Yellow Buttercup Clematis

(2) Shasta Daisy

(1) Lamb's Ear

(1) Limelight Artemesia

(1) Ajuga

(1) Unidentified tall yellow "daisy".

(1) Unidentified Hosta variety. (I divided into 4 plants.)

(1) Unidentified ground cover.

Yes, some varieties listed above are classified as invasives in some areas of North America and Canada. It is up to gardeners to inform themselves so they know what they are dealing with regarding the habits and characteristics of plant varieties. Then it is up to each gardener to decide how to plant, where to plant, or whether to plant certain varieties based on those habits and characteristics. I do wish the folks that hold these plant exchanges would do a better job at helping to educate gardeners regarding the issue of invasives, as well as have a blacklist that bans state-classified invasives from entering the exchange.

FYI the New Ulm Garden Club Annual Plant Exchange is usually held the second Saturday in May. The correct date is always posted in the Community Calendar on the New Ulm Chamber of Commerce web site. Click here and then click on "Community Calendar". If interested in attending then make a note to yourself for next year.

If anyone knows of any other plant exchanges in the Hutchinson / New Ulm / Redwood Falls / Glencoe areas I would appreciate any information or links, even if they are already completed for 2011.

-Tom

Comment (1)

Sponsored