Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdwing_gw

a little discouraged..

birdwing
17 years ago

first thanks to all those who have offered plants(see my fast plants for steep slope post) I think I'm going to need them. I've spent most of today trying to get the slope to a point where I can even think of planting things. I jumped the gun and went to larson's nursery in mendota, my favorite place. They have hosta (and lots of other perrenials) for 4 for $20 or $6/per. So I bought some really big hosta there. I also went to menard's and got some ground cover 6 packs. (sweet woodruff and yes, pachysandra terminalis)

The thing is, The slope is VERY steep which is one reason we've decided to cut our losses and put the tuckunder garage there. We live in mounds park st. paul and there are lots of hills and slopes on the river bluff.

Now, to the discouraging part. I have it pretty much to the dirt stage (by hand yanking everything including grass) but I'm worried that without terracing (becuase of the future garage)plants will just errode away. The slope is about a 45 degree angle (I was an english major so I had to look that up on google to make sure it was right) and it is a BIG area each side of the slope is about 900 sq ft (30x30 right? )

Does anyone think i can just plant stuff or will it wash away? any suggestions about how to deal w/ this? can i just pull out everything on the slope (digging as many roots as possible) and then start planting or is it a waste of time?

Comments (5)