Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nick_b79

My $8 redbud from Sam's Club survived!

nick_b79
16 years ago

Last summer the Sam's Club here in Apple Valley was selling 5-ft tall redbud trees for $8 each, and I figured what the heck. I have a few redbud seedlings at my dad's farm that I've grown from 'Minnesota Strain' stock, but they're still small. This one I planted in my mom's yard up in Melrose, MN (about 120 miles north of the Twin Cities), so it didn't have the "heat island" effect we see down here. Plus, it was planted in a fairly open area, as the neighborhood my mom lives in has mostly newly constructed prefab homes and mobile homes with few mature trees or large buildings.

I planted and mulched it last June, and my mom did a good job of keeping it watered through the drought we had. A few days ago she gave me a call to let me know she was out in the yard and the redbud was leafing out. I asked if it was leafing out from the lower branches or the root collar, and she said no, all the branches were leafing out! No flowers, but it doesn't sound like much if any dieback either! Yeaaahhhhh!!!

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County