Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennypat_gw

Companions for Delphiniums

I have some beautiful delphiniums, in shades of purples light and dark. But in front of them I have an aster planted, the aster does not do anything for me, in fact I think it is sorta ugly most of the year, and doesn't bloom much either.

What would you suggest to plant in front? This is an area that is full sun, and can get pretty dry. It is also the first garden you see when parking in our drive and walking to the house.

I have about 2' x 5' of space, and then in front of this area are some short early irises, which need digging and re-planting anyway.

I am up in the NW corner, just on the edge of zone 4 into zone 3.

Elsewhere in this bed I have a tower of jackmani clematis, next to an old-fashioned pink rose.

Thanks

Jenny P

Comments (9)

• jel48
    13 years ago

How about dianthus, in varying shades of pinks and varying heights? And something white... not sure what....

• north40
    13 years ago

Maybe some white shasta daisies and asiatic/oriental lilies for late June early July blooms, cleome and/or bee balm for mid-summer blooms, phlox or mums for late summer blooms. I'm also in your area and have planted delphiniums this year for the first time. I have them in with hollyhocks for about the same height.

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmm the daisies might be a good idea, I have some that I got from my moms garden last summer. I can snitch a few from there.

I don't want any red in this bed, so no bee balm. I do have some nigella in another area near here, I could spread some seed in the front here. And I will have to look for some lilies, I think gold or yellow would look nice. Good ideas! Thanks

I love my delphiniums, I visited a garden in my area last summer, that was FULL of them, along with a whole lot of lilies. The lady was in her 80's and had a huge flower garden, it was beautiful.

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Monarda (bee balm) comes in many colors besides red. One of my favorites is "Marshall's Delight" which is pink.

How about including echinacea (purple coneflower) which also come in many colors?

Here is a link that might be useful: Monarda

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks I know Monarda comes in other colors, but for me only the red one will grow. Don't know why, but the other colors always die, or never come back. Echinacea would be a good choice too. I do have some I could move. But I think I am going to go with the daisies and the yellow lilies. I have both here already (think cheap!) In fact the lilies NEED thinning, they have been in the same spot for 5 or 6 years now, If I don't do it soon they will start dying back.

• leaveswave
    13 years ago

I think a nice golden color would look great with the delphs. How about golden alexander? Long bloom time and interesting foliage, to boot.

• rubybaby43
    13 years ago

I have Penstemon Husker Red with my dephinium but mine is an electric blue color. I've also planted the annual Red Salvia with it. But my delphinium is planted in a raised bed that is my veggie garden. So, now it's also with my cilantro and peppers.

Kristy :)

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OH man, now I have MORE ideas! I do have a huskers red in the nursery bed, I got it for a buck, and it is still really small.

The gold alexander is interesting.....I will have to look into that some more. Maybe for my wildflower garden.

I still am thinking I will put the daisies, and lilies in there. But need to wait a bit, there are some irises blooming in that area right now. I have some Menorca lilies in the nursery bed too, I had moved some earlier this spring, and put all the little babies into pots. I know they won't bloom this year, but if I plant them out maybe next year!

Thanks!

• rosebacopa2
    13 years ago

I saw a stunning combo of Trollis Globeflower and Delphinium
    at Plymouth city center a few years ago.
    Both were tall and really complemented each other.
    Lynn

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!