Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Delphinium in MN

Posted by blan0131 MN (My Page) on
Mon, May 26, 14 at 20:39

Has anybody had any luck growing delphinium in the Twin Cities? It's my favorite flower but it fails to come back every year. And yet, I keep planting...any tips?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Delphinium in MN

I'm a bit further south than you. I seemed to lose 1-2 of my 8-18 delphiniums every year. Been covering with straw the past couple of years and only lost one to the foot of a helpful grandson this year and the remainder are subjectively more robust than when they would come back w/o winter protection. I'd keep replanting anyhow since its a favorite.
Will

o

Perhaps good drainage is the key. I have some long-lived ones in a raised bed that gets good snow cover in the winter. I believe they were Magic Fountains. The light blue has been my survivor.

o

Mine seem to get decimated by insects, usually ants, but I am trying again this year.

o

• Posted by may8 Z4 MN (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 4, 14 at 20:27

A good way to get rid of ants is to mix about 1:1 ratio of sugar and borax and put a little in small bottles and lay them on the side in the areas frequented by ants. The Target pharmacy bottles work great, because they are flat on the side. The sugar helps to attract them to eat the borax which kills them.

o

I have been growing delphs for 12 years in the Twin Cities. Mine grow like crazy with little care. In both of my homes I planted them where they got morning sun but were shaded in the afternoon. I also grow only the New Zealand Miliniums which are supposed to be a superior variety. Most were started from seed or just reseeded from mature plants. The first time i grew them I bought some large plugs. I'll try to attach some pics.
Anne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here