Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irrigationcontractor

Bird questions

I bought some seed yesterday and hung my first feeder. I don't want weeds, and the local store's only no-grow birdseed is peanut parts, sunflower chips, dried fruit and cracked corn. What types of birds will this mix attract and what kind of feeder should it be in? I have it in a hopper, and it's only about three feet off the ground. I have a feeling it needs to be higher.

Last, which songbirds don't migrate and stay through winter?

Comments (7)

• jenswrens
    17 years ago

That sounds like a good mix. Depending on where you are and what type of tree cover you have, it should attract blue jays, cardinals, chickadees, LBBs (little brown birds = sparrows, finches, et al), nuthatches, woodpeckers, etc. These are mostly woodland birds, so if you're on the prarie, you'll get somewhat different results. The corn may attract doves, pigeons, grackles, etc.

I'm not sure what a "hopper" is, but it definately should be higher than 3 ft. Most birds like to feel protected from ground predators and that's really too low for them to feel safe. I would probably put a mix like this on a platform feeder. You can also feed on the ground.

I'm in the cities (old established area with large trees) and the birds at my feeder in winter include juncos, chickadees, nuthatches, downy woodpeckers and of course the ever present English sparrow. During the dead of winter here in MN, no matter how well I keep the feeder stocked, the only real diehards are the English sparrows. Everyone else seems to go elsewhere during the really frigid times. Even the juncos.

Come visit us over at the Birding Forum!

Here is a link that might be useful: Birdwatching Forum

• taft
    17 years ago

I have several sunflower seed feeders throughout my yard. I only put black oil sunflower seed in them. You can also buy shelled sunflower seeds (more $$$). I put peanuts in a separate feeder that has a large bird barrier on it or the Starlings take them all.

You will always have some bird food that germinates and starts to grow under the feeder. You either live with it and just mow it or you can make a hardscape surface under your feeders and them you can sweep up the spilled seed. I've seen people put nice paver pads under their bird feeders.

The seed mix you are feeding is a good one. You may, however, get too many house sparrows and starlings with the cracked corn but the mourning doves love corn so it's one of those 'love-hate' relationships.

The best thing to do is put your seed out and wait a month or two and see what bird start to come to your feeder.

Here is also a link for Droll Yankee bird feeders. They are great feeders and some of mine are 15+ years old. You can usually buy these feeder's locally wherever bird feeding supplies are sold.

http://www.drollyankees.com/lines.cfm?Category=7&SubCategory=4

• doucanoe
    17 years ago

I can't add too much to what has already been said, but I definitely agree that your feeder is too close to the ground. I have my hopper feeders at about 4-5 feet up.

You didn't say where you are or if you are in wooded or open area. I am about 40 miles north of the TC and in the woods. I get Woodpeckers (Downy, Hairy, Red-Bellied, Pileated, and an occasional sapsucker) but I also feed raw suet all year long. My seed eaters include chickadee, chipping sparrow, goldfinch, rose breasted grosbeak, bluejay, indigo bunting, nuthatch, purple finch, house finch , cardinal and song sparrow. If you put out a nectar or fruit feeder, you may also see orioles and hummingbirds.

Our winter visitors: goldfinches, junco, redpoll, cardinal and most of the woodpeckers.

Good luck! I would recommend investing in a good, comprehensive field guide to ID those birds once they start visiting!

Linda

• jel48
    17 years ago

You'd be surprised, though, how much feeding chipped hull less sunflower seeds cuts down on the number of plants that grow from spilled birdseed. I mix my own birdfeed and I use hull less sunflower chips, shelled peanuts, peanuts in the shell, white millet, cracked corn, safflour, and niger thistle. The only one I really have a problem with is the thistle (even though they say that it won't grow). And that's not a major problem. When I fed sunflower seeds with the shells on, I had major sunflower gardens growing under my feeders! And even though the hull less is more expensive, it's all edible, so I don't think that the price is too bad.

Linda, I want your birds! Here in the more southernly climates :-) I don't have pileated woodpeckers at all, and with a less wooded area (like mine) I've never had an indigo bunting or rose breasted grosbeak at all!

• irrigationcontractor
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for all the input.
    I am in Zimmerman, in a newer neighborhood, and there aren't many trees. I am one of the only people in my neighborhood with a garden, so I thought the birds would be on my feeder like crazy but so far, no real action.
    I think I'm going to try hanging it higher.

• doucanoe
    17 years ago

It will take some time for the birds to find your new feeder. Don't get discouraged just yet, it's only been a few days. Once they find it you will have lots of visitors!
    In Zimmerman you should get a nice variety of birds. When we lived in Ramsey, we had all the birds I listed above, plus an occasional towhee.
    Do consider getting a hummingbird feeder, too. Especially if your garden includes flowers.
    Saw our first one here this morning!

Linda

• irrigationcontractor
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have two hummingbird feeders and they're already up. I was sitting on my front porch last Saturday, and one of my little hummers came buzzing around the corner, looking for his feeder! I didn't have them up yet, so I jumped up, went inside, made food and got them out. They're not seeing much action yet, either... but they're up. My bleeding hearts are blooming pretty heavily already, and I've planted some annuals and gotten hanging baskets up. My azelias are going to bloom after it warms up again, and the columbine should be right behind them.

Sponsored