Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debsflowers

hail damage

debsflowers
15 years ago

Here in Rochester we had some major hail damage. How much do you think will recover? The impatients were covered by a couple of inches of hail. Do you think they'll make it?

Comments (6)

• dirtbert
    15 years ago

I'm assuming the hail melted away rather fast (hour).
    impatients don't tolerat much cold at all, I would think you would be able to tell within a day or two if they are going to make it.

Several years ago we had a terrible storm of hail and strong winds. My sweet corn was 4 feet tall and several other veggies very mature in the garden and everything was lying flat on the ground. I nearly cried I thought it was all done for. Within 3-4 days it was all standing upright again just fine.
    Hopefully, some of your things will recover. I would think perennials for sure would recover.

• loodean
    15 years ago

I'm west of Rochester and north of Mantorville. My CSA farm received a lot of damage to the soft leafy greens, but the tougher broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower came through alright. The crops I had covered up with row covers were just fine. Most of the little seedlings seemed to be OK, too. The spinach and lettuce going out next week will be "holy".

• mantorvillain
    15 years ago

Yep, lots of torn leaves particularly on my larger leaved plants such as hosta and brugmansias which I had just planted out into their tubs (dwntwn Mantorville)...but my experience is things spring back pretty quickly, and if it doesn't that just opens up a hole for something new.
    My cup is generally hslf full,
    Will

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

Golf ball sized hail here in Maple Grove today. Plants will need major pruning, many down to the base.

This hail is not melting quickly, one and a half hours later there is still hail on the ground. I pulled it off my winter sown seedlings in containers and off plants that were in small containers on my patio. Some were two to three inches under the hailstones. Didn't want those seedlings to freeze.

Fortunately little other property damage. Will need to check roof.

• laurampls
    15 years ago

Marble sized hail and lots of it here in South Minneapolis, and some of it is still here Sunday morning. Looking on the bright side, all of the foliage will come back (hostas, geraniums, anemones, sedums). The irises are in bud but seemed to have escaped. The peony and lily buds --- well, there's always next year. Sadly, almost all of the late spring bloomers are ready for the compost pile.

I think the damage was not as bad as it could have been since all of my plants are about 2 weeks behind because of the cold spring.

• jel48
    15 years ago

I don't know how large it was here in Rochester. It hailed while I was at work. But I do know that when I was in my yard about three hours later and the temp was in the mid 60s, I had handfuls of hail still in potted plants and among the grass and some individual hailstones were still about 3/4 inches across. I have the pictures to prove it! Amazingly, while some of my hosta leaves had holes in them and tulips appeared bruised, nothing was wiped out! Dave lazyweeder if you read this, I was thinking about you and hoping you didn't get it at your place again. Two years in a row after preparing for the swap would have been horrendous!

Sponsored