Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idafrances

pictures of your roses?

idafrances
15 years ago

Hi everyone,

Well, as a newbie, I've fallen for roses already. I have the following newly planted and I hope they will be successful:

Therese Bugnet

Morden Blush

Ramblin Red

John Davis

William Baffin

I'd love to see your pictures of these darlings thriving in Minnesota, as well as any tips you might have. Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)

• trinityklm
    15 years ago

I have a Morden blush but don't have any recent pics. The soft peach shade of the blooms is beautiful. I've had some trouble with pests but I spray some insecticide on them regularly and that seems to help.

It also dies back almost completely every winter, so it doesn't get very big since it has to start over every year, but I think that's usual for this variety.

Hopefully others will have good pics of their roses. I would love to see them.

• heleninramsey
    15 years ago

I have Morden Blush as well, and no photos of it as well. I do have a photo of William Baffin, when I took the picture it was 7 feet tall...I am afraid it has since been kicked out of the garden because of renovation...I did like it though. I included pictures of Morden Centennial, Morden Sunrise and a random hybrid Tea that I like.

Have fun with your roses! Helen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Helens Roses

• twohuskies
    15 years ago

Here's Ramblin Red
    {{gwi:242861}}

It seems I don't have any pix of your other roses online. The only one I don't have is Therese Bugnet. I am growing over 120 roses right now with the vast majority being reliabily hardy. I've attached a link to my photobucket albums. There are many pictures of my roses in the various albums. If you ever want to know more feel free to send me an email.

Here is a link that might be useful: My roses, etc

• trinityklm
    15 years ago

twohuskies,

Lovely roses!

So you must not get much winter die-back. Do you do something special to protect them? I'd love to plant more roses, but if they practically have to start over every year, then what's the point?

• twohuskies
    15 years ago

Thanks trinityklm!
    Most of my roses die down to the snowline or maybe a little lower with the exception of a few hardy Canadians and the rugosas. What I try to look for are roses that are hardy enough to make it through winter with even a little bit of live cane left but are *vigorous* enough to bounce back quickly. Many of my roses are only one foot tall right now but will quickly grow back to a decent size and bloom all season. My established roses get at most a shovel full of mulch over the base late in the fall for winter protection. At this point I try to keep the work to a minimum and enjoyment to the maximum with the number of roses I have.

• heleninramsey
    15 years ago

Twohuskies....forgive the pun but, I was 'on the fence' about whether or not to get 'Ramblin Red' after seeing your 'Red' on the fence, I am off the fence and onto the nursery to pick it up!

Helen.

• idafrances
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, thanks for the photos everyone...I hope my ramblin' red can get anywhere near yours! Can I ask how you fertilize, and any other tips you have?

Thanks!

Sponsored