Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trinityklm

Replacing Asters with ?

trinityklm
15 years ago

I'd love some suggestions from some garden savvy people. I had several Aster plants that took over my flower garden, and frankly, looked ugly until they finally bloomed. I dug them up last fall. I couldn't take them anymore.

What would be better fall blooming choice? I was considering Mums but have heard they can be fussy. The plants will have full sun, sandy soil, and be on a drip line.

Comments (8)

• dandy_line (Z3b N Cent Mn)
    15 years ago

Maybe you shouldn't have given up on the Asters so soon. They do require shearing-twice-during the summer to limit their growth. There are some shorter varieties too, like 'Purple Dome' that maybe would fit better for you.
    I don't know of anything else that will give you the spectacular blooms that Asters give in the Sep/Oct time frame.

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

A fairly carefree mum is the My Favorite variety introduced by the U of MN.
    They do not need to be pinched and do not need to be covered in the fall.
    They can be sprawly so I put a support around them in the spring, They get very big, 30" around. Lots of colors available.

Chocolate Joe Pye has white blooms in Sept/October and the dark foliage is pretty throughout the summer.

I love my asters and agree that if one shears them they will be more compact.
    I just trim them with my garden shears. Some will still need support and others will be fine on their own. Also have several varieties of different heights and colors.

• primgal36
    15 years ago

Also Autumn Joy sedum are quite nice, and the birds enjoy eating from them during winter.
    I really like my asters, they are stunning in the fall, what about solidago?
    I just planted chocolate joe pye and solidago at the end of the season, so I'm excited to see how they perform.
    I have mums too, and they are not as much work, I guess I don't mind pinching and covering them, it's a little extra effort, but I got them for 1.00 a piece.

• trinityklm
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions!

It wasn't even so much that the Asters needed to be sheared, which I did do last year. It was that they popped up all over the place like weeds. And I really didn't enjoy the flowers enough to make all that extra work worth it. I think it had a lot to do with the site conditions--which resulted in hyper Asters.

I had hyper Artemisia that did the same thing. I got tired of that, too, and replaced it with 'purple emperor' sedum which is a joy.

I think I just need plants that tend to like to stay put more. I ended up picking up some of the Minn Mums. I'm hoping with a spring planting they will end up being hardy, which sounds like kind of a crap shoot anyway.

So, do the Minn mums need pinching or are they the kind that don't?

• elleni
    15 years ago

I planted some asters last fall and have not seen any sign of them yet. Should "Snow Flurry Dwarf Asters" be coming up yet?

• dandy_line (Z3b N Cent Mn)
    15 years ago

I'm gonna bet that your "Snow Flurry" Asters are DOA. Best contact the seller and ask for a refund or replacement.
    I sheared my asters today, some were up around 2' already.
    I did the neigbor's also since I forgot to tell her last year they needed to be cut back. Hence, in September I looked over in her yard to see a plant with 4 stalks 8 feet high, with red flowers climbing up the plant. what a wierd sight.

• elleni
    15 years ago

Thanks dandy_line. I took another good look today and saw nothing. I guess I'll have to find something else to put in that spot-- another spot I've have no luck with for two years running.

• elleni
    15 years ago

I emailed SpringHill, where I got the last Fall. They are going to ship me new plants-- but not until September. Still, that's good customer service.

Sponsored