Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
srn790

New to Gardening

srn790
14 years ago

I am new to gardening and have decided to grow 10 different vegetables, not knowing what I was getting into. I started out growing, 4 of each: cucumber, melon, watermelon, tomato, bushel bean, hot pepper and green pepper. I made the mistake of planting them in the middle of April. About two weeks ago I started putting them under a grow light. They have doubled in size. Just yesterday i put them in a five gallon buckets under the lights again. Today they look a little droopy and wilted. I can not put them outside until the first week of June. Am I doing everything right so far or is there more I need to do?

Comments (11)

• dirtbert
    14 years ago

Sounds pretty good, you really could start hardening them off outside. This is the process of getting them used to the full strength of the sun/wind gradually before planting out. You should be able to put them outside for some time during the day. Just be sure to water well and put them in some light shade so they do not get sunburnt. Gradually leave them out for more and more time, in more and more sun. If the night time lows happen to be above 45-50 they can be left outside as well. If too cold at night yet, then just set into the garage. A wagon works well for this too.

I also always "cheat" reguarding last frost dates. A week before the last frost date I look at the forecast for the next week. If the lows look well above freezing, I go for broke and plant out. On the rare occassion frost still threatens an old bed sheet over the plants will protect them.

• srn790
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am using the 5 gallon pots that I just replanted them in outside. Today I looked at them and they seem to be a little wilted. I have watered them every day and kept the light on all the time. What more can I do to ensure they continue to grow and not die off? Can I put them outside in 40-50 degree weather at night?

• kaptainkr
    14 years ago

Depending on where you are in Minnesota, you can probably plan on getting those things planted pretty soon. I live in the Twin Cities and was able to plant everything Sunday. It was 97° here today, but in Ely it only got to 50. I would continue to harden them off and if the nights are 45-50 I would leave most outside. Maybe the watermelons and peppers could be brought inside if it gets any cooler. I would also caution you about watering. A dry plant and an overwatered plant can look a lot alike. I only water 2-3 times per week. The link below is to an online book that explains how to grow tomatoes, but a lot of the info would hold true for most plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: You bet your tomatoes

• srn790
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I replanted them in 5 gallon pot and plan on leaving them in there all summer long. Plus, I don't want the hassle of digging up a space or the rabbits. I have thirteen different pots and still have more that I need to get transplanted. Can I get a fertilizer to help them grow? I was going to put all the pots on my deck, but wouldn't have enough room for them all. My other solution was to get some chicken wire and create a fencing around them in my yard so the rabbits don't get them.

• salpal
    14 years ago

Please make sure your containers have drainage holes in the bottom, this is important. Maybe they are "wilty" because of the transplanting. You could probably use a little miracle grow, the fertilizer used on houseplants, but you may wish to research which type of fertilizer to use long term for your vegetables. If you have them planted in regular potting soil, look on the bag to see if the company put fertilizer in the mix. It is important to consider the "soil" you use when container gardening, as most are "soil-less" mediums and must be amended with nutrients, either by you or the manufacturer. There is a container gardening forum on this site which has wonderful information within. I recommend you to read the postings in it- you will learn alot!

It sounds like you are having fun! The best of luck to you and your garden- live and learn!
    Sally

• srn790
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I bought Schultz Moisture Rick Potting Soil and have been using that. I have 5 gallon nursery pots that have ample drainage. I want to get them outside, but am afraid to because of the high heat and winds today. Can I put them out there an hour a day and gradually put them out longer? Would that liven them up?

• boyle014
    14 years ago

That potting soil probably has time-release fertilizers in it, so I would not fertilize them until later in the summer. You could find out for sure if you still have the bag (or you could check on the Internet).

Yes, put them outside for part of the day now. I just transplanted my cucumbers, watermelons, and sunflowers yesterday. Some make it; some don't. I always put out more than I need. Easier to clip out extras than to start the whole process over. You'll hear people recommend that all of these be planted directly into the soil--they don't take well to transplanting. However, given the short season in MN, I take my chances.

Worst case, if some of them don't revive, just plant the seeds again. It's a bummer, but, on the other hand, things grow really fast this time of year.

With respect to the wind, it's good to put a fan on your seedlings or just run your fingers over them occasionally as soon as they come up. Toughens them up for the real thing.

• srn790
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just started putting my plants outside two days ago for about two hours. I noticed right away that when i put them out they looked either wilted from the hot sun or the wind. They are also starting to dry out on the ends of the leaves. I water them every two days or so as the soil starts to dry up. I hope they make it. Is there anything more I can do for them?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• dirtbert
    14 years ago

The wind can really be tough on young plants that have started out inside. Is there a way for you to provide them with a little protection from the wind? Just to start.
    Also, direct sunlight can be quite shocking as well, if you can provide them with a partially shady spot (under tree or patio table) that will also help them adjust to the sunlight.

I just planted out everything to my garden today. The peppers and tomatoes will probably look a little tough for a few days while they adjust. But our cloudy day today and tomorrow should really help.

• srn790
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I haven't put my plants outside since Sunday and have been leaving them in the garage. I only water them every 2-3 days as needed. I don't know how to nurse them back to health. They are still green, but wilting. Here is a picture of my tomato plants.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• boyle014
    14 years ago

How are they doing, srn790? It's been a brutal spring for transplants. I hope they survived!

Sponsored