Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Annuals for shade

Posted by jennypat Zone 3b NW MN (My Page) on
Fri, May 6, 11 at 21:56

I have a new neighbor who is renting the house next door. The flower beds are mostly shade, almost full shade. What kind of annuals would be good? She doesn't want to invest in perennials, as they won't be there for more than a year.

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Annuals for shade

I don't do much with annuals, but the shade ones I use every year are; Impatiens and Coleus. Others; Begonias, and Upright Fuchsia.

o

Thanks, most of those were my suggestions too, except for the fushsia I forgot about that one. She is quick, I mentioned the ones I thought would work. Then the next morning she had them planted! She is a young gal new to gardening, but loving it.

o

I don't grow many annuals anymore, but my fav wasn't mentioned - Browalia. It is the only annual blue for shade that I know. It comes in a tiny flowered ball shaped plant and a short upright. The gorgeous blue with 1' blooms sets off all the reds and greens.
gramma jan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here