Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigdogg30

Giant Sequoia in Minnesota?

bigdogg30
14 years ago

I am somewhat interested in gardening, but more specifically growing trees i.e.: currently I have several palm trees growing inside my house.

But back to the question, do you think Giant Sequoias could live and grow in Minnesota? There are seeds available on eBay and I'm very eager to try, but only if there is a possibility that it could work.

Comments (13)

• ginkgonut
    14 years ago

Are you thinking in a pot or in the ground?

Ground, I would say very unlikely it would survive.

A pot could work if you found the right place to overwinter it.

If you wanted something to plant in the ground, you could try a Metasequoia, Dawn Redwood. Though not evergreen, I think it looks somewhat like a Sequoia and people have had success with this plant in MN.

• rockman50
    14 years ago

That tree is occasionally planted (outdoors) here in coastal SE Mass with success. The largest I have seen is about 50 feet--a mere sapling in California! But even here, in a coastal climate with ample winter rain and and snow, and much warmer winter temperatures compared to MN, the tree can be burned after a colder and dryer than normal winter. Given the harsh nature of a typical MN winter (I used to live and garden in Mpls), I don't think it will survive. I agree with the suggestion to try a Dawn Redwood. I have seen a few specimens of this tree in my area that are a good 60-70 feet tall--and the trunks are truly spectacular when they reach that size. So even in winter when they are bare, the trunks give you something to look at!

• BlueAng
    14 years ago

Both this and the famous redwood is not hardy here in Minnesota they like very mild climates. Dawn Redwood is the only one for you.

• gomanson
    14 years ago

I agree with other posters: the issue is winter cold. Other than that, the conditions here would be able to support a redwood or a sequoia, although the redwood would need a lot of watering. (How about that rain last night! We had 3.4" in St. Michael) I see a lot of damaged spreading yew around from last winter's cold streak. The coast redwood is even less cold-tolerant.

• dbo55947
    6 years ago

I have two 18 yr old, 30' tall redwoods in my yard in SE Minn. Very healthy.

• Soumil Yarlagadda
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Yes. they do grow naturally in mild climates. theyre native to the cold high sierra which is in fact almost slightly colder than southern minnesota. they would thrive in areas with a cool mild climate or a cold winter climate. dont worry, just water it

• pennlake
    5 years ago

I'd love to see some photos of MN redwoods.

• Northern Gardener (3b west central MN)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

"Zone envy." It's a thing. When I visited Hawaii, I realized that in spite of my appreciation for what to me appeared a vast exotic species palette, I'd dearly miss maple and oak trees, and tulips and daffodils, if I were to live there. Hawaii has a hugely diverse species range; but so have we, here in MN. Ours is just different, and because we live with it year after year, it seems less exotic. Reverting to Hawaii: none of what's common there (such as 8-10-foot in-bloom-in-November poinsettias) is ever going to happen here. But Hawaii will never ever have spring bulbs, or hardwoods, with their changing leaf colors. Or the lemon-scented air we have when the basswoods and lindens come into bloom in late June/early July. Or ___ (name your favorite MN season/plant smell [I could not get through a year without the smell of snow]). In short, our biomes have almost nothing in common.

I've had my share of spins with exotics here in Minnesota (plumeria, hibiscus, ginger, curry leaf plant [the latter being still alive and productive of culinarily valuable leaves after 10 years!]); I have overwintered many, and have no regrets for the losses. But maximum effort was required, and in the end 90% haven't been sustainable past about five years, when grown outside of their preferred environment. I grow so many plants that these failures are just another step along the way. Oh well, it was interesting and worth playing with, along the road, has been my attitude.

If you really need something to succeed, then when you go to the nursery (or any online ordering site), do go forearmed with knowledge of your conditions: soil, light (especially what time of day and how intense), water, climate (and nighttime temps can make as much difference as daytime ones). If you want your garden to be great, you have to deal with reality, not fantasy. Create a harmony that works where you are, and if you must try exotics (unsuitable plants, by definition - and I do this every season just because I appreciate the challenge - my latest being a flytrap), be prepared to lose them, because you knew when you bought it that you were totally tossing the dice and the odds were against you. If you win, WOW! If you lose, well, it was what you expected. And meanwhile you enjoyed the form/bloom/company of that plant, and did your best.

Any plant that requires decades to reach maturity, and is an exotic in your location - no. Just no, never. Go visit it where it's happy, and say a prayer that it will live on in its happy place.

Love where you are, and strive to understand it.. Make the most of it. And play with exotics only outside of mission-critical plantings.

• pennlake
    4 years ago

Where? Is it visible streetside?

• Northern Gardener (3b west central MN)
    4 years ago

Derrick Sheller, this is wonderful news! I also want to know where it is. I'm coming to the Cities this weekend to go plant-shopping with my daughter, and would love to drive by if possible.

• rbacorn
    2 years ago

derricksheller, where can this be found in Eden Prairie?

• Highlander01
    last year

I have a potted sequoia.. about 7foot now. going to plant it outside and hope it does well like the one in Eden Praire.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County