Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john_w_gw

First rose bloom

john_w
16 years ago

My first rose to flower is the species rose, Rosa primula.
{{gwi:1050526}}

Rosa primula

The unusal rose has scented leaves.To me they smell of Old Spice. It's common name is Incense Rose. Sturdy as nails and just as hardy, this big bush makes a magnicent show in early May. The arching canes are covered with simple, pale yellow, two-inch flowers. Once-blooming for two weeks.

(Taken in my garden, 2007-05-09)

Comments (10)

• rdubow
    16 years ago

I am soooo jealous! Not that I am rose collector but I have three rose types, one rose plant type that is showing no growth and two Parade mini-rose bushes! They just have the greens sprouting! Johnny jump-ups, tulips, and Calla Lilies are all I have for seeing any actual BLOOMS so far~~~

• selkie_b
    16 years ago

My "Mary Queen of Scots" (Rosa Pimpinellifolia) is about to explode - don't you just love early roses?

She smells so so sweet too - it's one of the very few natural rose scents still used in the perfume industry because it is so unique they cannot seem to duplicate it.

-Marie

• twohuskies
    16 years ago

Isn't that great having early blooming roses?? If only I had a bigger yard..... My earliest bloomer is Stanwell Perpetual. Looks like maybe he'll bloom within the next week. Marie Bugnet and Friends Forever are getting close too.

John - I sure would love to see all your roses. I remember your website from a few years ago. It was such a great resource for me when I was trying to find info on roses that will be hardy in our climate. Now I'm growing around 130 roses from many different classes.

• john_w
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Most of my roses now have buds, though some are further along than others.

I took the Web site down a few years ago because it got too big to maintain. It started as an experiment--I wanted to learn digital photography and Web design. It took on a life of its own.

130 roses is a lot! I thought you said your garden was too small. I've downsized a bit on the number of roses I tend. You are welcome any time to visit my place.

• selkie_b
    16 years ago

Mary started blooming yesterday! It's so lovely... smells simply divine!

-Marie

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

Beautiful rose, John! I do not do terribly well with roses, My "Betty Boop" did not make it thru her third winter for some reason. The William Baffin that I got from Stpaulite is doing well, but no buds as yet. Today I replaced "betty" with a "Fragrant Cloud" rose. Smells fabulous, but I do not know what I am doing when I buy roses, so we'll see what she does!

Linda

• jel48
    16 years ago

What a beautiful rose, John! I guess I'm going to have to go check mine a little closer. None are opened yet, anyway. I do have one clematis just coverec with blossums though, Gurnsey Cream.. the are a dozen plus opened already.

• john_w
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I would enjoy seeing a picture of the Queen, Marie. Can you post one?

Linda, 'Fragrant Cloud' is one of the most scented roses a person can grow. I had it for several years. It has a bright color -- you'll have to wear sunglasses to look at it. FC is a tender hybrid tea, so make sure to provide the best winter protection if you want it to be around next season.

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

Good to know, John. thanks for the info on Fragrant Cloud. Yes I bought it with an opened rose on it so I was amazed by the color and the fragrance!

I will bundle her up good in the fall!

Linda

• selkie_b
    16 years ago

John,

Pics are posted!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting