Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frosty baby lilacs

Posted by hoghaven_duluthmn z4 (My Page) on
Fri, May 26, 06 at 22:16

Got the lilac hedge planted last Thursday. The plants have some nice green growth and are about 18 inches. Last Saturday night we were down to 27.5 F. Now, six days later, I am seeing some purple leaves and some puckering. Do you think they will recover or should I turn in my shovel?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frosty baby lilacs

I see no real problems. The puckering is probably due to a common non-lethal leaf disease that just makes them look ugly for the rest of the season. The leaves usually don't even die, although there may be some dead angular areas. This problem occurs in cool weather in spring (although usually not as cool as that!).

The purpling I see as a good sign. If the leaves actually froze, they would be black and limp or crispy by now. The color is a common reaction to cold produced by many plants, and usually will turn back to more green with warmer weather. Since your lilacs are still young, I think they should put on some healthy new growth, too.

Rick

o

Whew! That is good news. I thought we were close enough to the big lake to escape this frost. Surprise!
Thanks, Rick.

o

I was just thinking, and just to make sure: did anyone do any spraying for weeds nearby? That could cause puckering too.

o

Today, the puckering seems to be going away. Most of the purple leaves are still soft and normal appearing. A few are drying out and starting to fall off. All but one plant seem to have lots of green left. Luckily, I bought three extra plants as "spares" in case I do lose any in the hedge row.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here