Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ficus_spider_man

I need natives for a riverbank restoration

ficus-spider-man
16 years ago

I live in St.paul MN. my email is alexjunge@mac.com. I'm looking for NATIVE ONLY plants that would grow well by a sandy riverbank. such as Goldenrod, Common Milkweed, grasses,ect.. I will have seeds of swamp milkweed, Coneflower and Brown eyed susans to swap this fall for anyone intrested.

Comments (8)

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    16 years ago

Possibly Gaillardia aristata, Geum triflorum (prairie smoke), Lupinus perennis (wild lupine), Penstemon grandiflorus (Large-flowered beardtongue). Those are a few that might be suitable. Judging by the plants you already mentioned, I'm assuming full sun. You may want to check your library for a book by Lynn M Steiner (former editor of Northern Gardener magazine) called Landscaping with Native Plants of Minnesota. The ones I listed all came from there in a quick 5 minute look through. Good luck, sounds as though it will be beautiful when it's done.

• kimeryl
    16 years ago

I have something that I think is Virgina Waterleaf that I got from a Minnesota naturalist who said it was a native Minnesota plant. It has spread like crazy and I'm embarrassed to say I've been pulling it out as a weed lately. Take a look at the link and see if it's something you'd like to have - I have MANY plants left and need to clear it out of some of the areas where it's gone crazy. It's quite pleasing, but it does take over if you don't keep on top of it (which I clearly didn't!).
    Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Virginia Waterleaf

• leaveswave
    16 years ago

Based on your wording I'm wondering if you're wanting actual plants or for us to name possibilities. Pardon me if you're already aware of this...there is an Exchange side to this forum for actually offering/requesting specific plants and each member also has a trade page where they can list their wants and haves.

Here's some info by the DNR: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/npc/wetlandgrassland.html

And the Restore Your Shore CD lists about 200 full sun, moist upland, forbs and grasses. Available here: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/restoreyourshore/index.html

Finally, an online database of native plants: http://bluethumb.org/plants/?

Hope that helps. I applaud you for wanting to use natives.

• ficus-spider-man
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I want plants, but will give out seed, I belevie in get some give some, It would be wrong in my eyes to ask for somthing and not give something back. Some plants you guys mnetioned such as parie smoke, I would dearly love to get as the local nushery around is $$$

• selkie_b
    16 years ago

ficus-spider-man,

I will have geum at the GW Spring swap. Please post your desires on the exchanges page and check out our trade lists too, I'm sure we can all help you out!

-Marie

• ficus-spider-man
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Where is it located? What times are they open?

I want Purple prarie clover, Big bluestem, Indian grass Black euyed susan, brown eyed susan butterfly weed and prarie smoke. ( the problem is I can only give seed and thats means I wont have anything tell fall, sep,oct, that kind of thing) Unless you count a few purple coneflowers that have sprouted in my dads lawn. I could dig those up.

• selkie_b
    16 years ago

The "Exchanges" page is listed on the main forum messages page next to the words "On-Topic Discussions" in parenthesis it is listed as "switch to Exchanges" as a link. Click on that and it's a whole new bright open world of plants and swaps :)

-Marie

• Julie
    16 years ago

Well, since you are here posting- and I am here reading- and the formalities are out of the way-

Come on over- Let's dig! I have several varieties for you to choose from- that I can share- Impatiens- waterleaf- black eyed susan- phlox- cranesbill and hespiris (and possibly more)- that are all getting in my way!

Julie_MN