Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can perennials sit out for a few days?

Posted by idafrances 4 (emilydawn77@yahoo.com) on
Wed, May 14, 08 at 22:26

Hi all,

My friend dug up a bunch of perennials for me. I was able to get some in the ground, and the rest have been sitting in pots with a little bit of soil covering the roots...is this ok? How long can they last this way?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can perennials sit out for a few days?

Potted perennials should be okay if they are kept watered and you are sensitive to keeping them either in the sun, if they are sun perennials, or in the shade if shade perennials. We have experienced such a delayed spring, that it would be best if the soil warms before planting so as not to shock the roots. However once this happends the sooner you can get them in the ground the better.
Chris

o
RE: can perennials sit out for a few days?

Most perennials are very hardy plants. I have kept some in plastic bags with drainage holes slashed in bottom all summer and planted out in the fall. They continue to grow in the bags so keeping them watered is important. As long as the roots don't dry out they should be okay.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here