Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovespring_gw

fragrant annuals

lovespring
14 years ago

I have large containers in which I usually plant petunias. But I'm thinking about doing something different this year. I'd like to plant some heavily fragrant annuals. Any suggestions?

Comments (7)

• garystpaul
    14 years ago

Lovespring, I can't vouch for it yet, but I've started a flat of Royal Bride snapdragon from seed (T&M), which is supposed to have a "rare, gorgeous fragrance." I love smelly plants in the garden and so have high hopes! Gary

• mnwsgal
    14 years ago

Two of my favorites, Deep purple nicotiana, flowering tobacco, and heliotrope--this one I buy in bloom to smell the blossom before buying as some varieties are more fragrant than others.) Alyssum and marigolds are very fragrant. I suggest you go to the market and smell the plants in bloom to find which ones you like. Both marigolds and daisies are ones that I do not like though I still plant a few, just not in pots where I would have to pass them often.

• reedrune
    14 years ago

I love the smell of Alyssum, and it's the only annual I must have every year. it's pretty, short, though, for a container.

You can always plant herbs, they are great smelling! Lavender and rosemary!

If you don't mind saying good by at the end of the year, roses do well in containers and what could smell better? (as long as you get a fragrant one!) some nice smelling ones in each color are mister lincoln (red) barbara streisand (pink/mauve) honey perfume (orange/apricot), julia child (yellow) or pope john paul II (white).

I really think it's best to go and sniff, though. I know things I love, my fiancee can't smell at all!

• hoghaven_duluthmn
    14 years ago

A few years ago I picked up a package of seeds called "fragrant mix". I think they were Northrup King and I haven't found them for awhile. They were heavenly in the evening.

• honnat
    14 years ago

For the last couple of years, I have grown Peacock Orchid Gladiolas. It's a non-hardy bulb and they don't bloom until August. But, they have a fantastic fragrance. I have heard they work well in containers. Maybe they bloom faster that way too.

• guthriegatorfarm
    14 years ago

Nicotiana is my favorite for smells. If you pinch back the topmost tip on small plants they take longer to flower, but get so much bigger and fuller and will be loaded with flowers.

There's also a variegated basil that is gorgeous and smells really strongly. Basil does great in containers.

• joyfulsnowflake
    14 years ago

I second Alyssum. It has a honey like smell, like our cold weather, is a vigorous grower, and does good for me in partial shade. It also comes in many color choices.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner