Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimmers_gw

Looking for Garden Centers in the Twin Cities

kimmers
16 years ago

Five garden gals are gathering in the Twin Cities next Friday - Sunday for a much deserved weeding break and shopping reward. I have maps to the big GCs: Bachman's, Linder's, and Gerten and newly discovered Pahl's. We love to buy plants but we're also looking for shops that carry unusual garden decorations: chimes, statues, stakes, signs, etc. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Kimmers

Comments (15)

• leftwood
    16 years ago

You could stop by our Rock Garden Society sale in Roseville (2540 N. Lexington Ave., JC's shelter). May 19, Saturday, 10am-2pm. Many plants you won't find at commercial places, better prices, and only about one-quarter are actually rock garden plants. A very large variety, thousands of plants.

Whew! good thing this is a non-profit thing, or I'd be kick off of GW! Email me if you want more info or better directions.

• deweymn
    16 years ago

shops that carry unusual garden decorations: chimes, statues, stakes, signs, etc.

Ever been to Grand Avenue in St Paul?

• kimeryl
    16 years ago

I would check out Mother Earth in Minneapolis. It's a very cool place and the last time I was there, they had lots of fun things like those that you are looking for.
    Here's the address:
    Address:
    3738 42nd Ave S
    Minneapolis, MN
    Phone: (612) 724-2296

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

Mickman's on Hwy 65 in Blaine (or is it Ham Lake there?) has some wonderful garden items. The plants are pricey and not all that unusual, but they have some really fun garden decorations: chimes, statues, stakes, signs, etc.

Depending on how far from the metro proper you want to stray, the Green Barn in Isanti is great, too!

Linda (who already misses Rice Creek Gardens...)

• mcsnookerson
    16 years ago

I love Tangletown Gardens in Minneapolis. They're a bit pricey but they have rather unusual stuff. Last year I found bright yellow impatiens. Plus, they're across the street from Liberty Custard- the best frozen custard in the Twin Cities.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tangletown Gardens

• mcsnookerson
    16 years ago

Here's another one of my favorites for decorations, etc. They have very unique offerings.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bloomsbury Market

• birdwing
    16 years ago

also highland nursery in st.paul on west 7th. also a little pricey but great stuff..

• zenpotter
    16 years ago

This is a list I compiled last year from a similar request. I have taken out the ones to far away and that have been mentioned already. I will put in a second to Tangletown Nursery, Uncommon Grounds and Highland Nursery.

Rick, I am disappointed I can't make the 19th. I have a sale of my art work that weekend.

Linda, I too miss Rice Creek Gardens. They are going to reopen way to far away.

Lilydale Nursery off 52 has lots of native plants and a great hosta selection. The prices are maybe a little high but the plants are very healthy.

Malmborg's in Brooklyn Center (there is one in Rogers too...but I prefer BC). They have sales on small perennials a lot!

Mickman's in Ham Lake although they tend to be pricey
    Orion Farms (Waverly): Roses again. Very good selection of hardy, shrub, rogosa, Canadian and Buck roses.

Otten's (Long Lake): nice variety, easy to shop, friendly staff, ample parking and hard to find roses are here. ottenbros.com

Pahl's is another south of the metro goody. Apple Valley - quarter mile east of Cedar on 160th Street.

Sam Kedem's (south of Hastings): If you are into roses, this is the place to go. Carries Buck roses. kedemroses.com

Savory Gardens
    savorygardens.com,

'uncommon ground' on 56th and Lyndale Avenue Just 2 blocks north of Bachmans.

Whispering Gardens in Woodbury South 19 to 70th east is a little, unknown, quiet place with some unusual perennials and fairly high prices but worth a look.

Enjoy yourselves.

• crocosmia_mn
    16 years ago

I second Highland and Tangletown --- sometimes I think I should only go to these two, despite the prices, because I've had so many frustrations with all the big garden centers. Be sure to check out the smaller, cheaper perennials between the greenhouse and the fence at Highland.

• kimmers
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, oh, wow! You folks are great! Thank you all for the suggestions. I can't wait for Friday!

Kimmers

• tedb_threecedarfarm
    16 years ago

Blacks is a cute family run place just south of I94, take the 1st exit in from WI and go along the south frontage road (Hudson Rd) for just a bit.

Squire House Gardens, a little farther south on Hwy 21, in Afton, has a nice display garden, interesting plants and nice, sort of high end, garden ornaments.

Ted

• rasslinmama
    16 years ago

You've got to go to Rustic Garden's on Hwy 10 between Hastings and Prescott. Perennials and the cutest garden decorations I've ever seen. The gals who own it and do the buying, have great taste and their collection is unique and way cool!
    Try to stop in Prescott for a break at one of the restaurants along the St. Croix River.

• kimmers
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Two or three years ago Mom and I went to, the then new, Bachman's in Farmington. Across the road or within a mile north or so on Cedar Ave. was a small greenhouse selling small size self-grown perennials. We bought a lot there! Mom wants to go back but with all the great suggestions I hate to drive all that way to find out they are closed plus we could hit a Bachmans elsewhere if we have time. Does anyone know the name of the place and if they are still in business?

• tedb_threecedarfarm
    16 years ago

It's a little out of my neighborhood but I believe it's called South Cedar

Ted

• neesie
    16 years ago

There's a family run garden center in Oakdale (near East St. Paul) called Dege's (pronounced Day-gee's).

They have all kinds of garden statuary, signs, birdfeeders, etc. that I don't see at similar stores. They also have an extensive seed collection. I have been in the store in early spring and wondered why it was wall to wall people, mostly Hmong that day. I realized that they were all waiting in line just to get seeds from George Dege, the proprieter. Word must have spread like wildfire in their community! It would be a good place to get unusual or quality seed too. It's not a huge place, but its packed with stuff. You'll see it next to an abandoned Dairy Queen on Century Avenue, also known as highway 120.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler