Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Annual climbing vine recommendation needed

Posted by flora43 (My Page) on
Sun, May 24, 09 at 22:55

Hi all,

I am looking for suggestions on an annual climbing vine. The location is east facing in a little cove between house and garage, so light shade in the afternoon. Also, it can get pretty dry in that area since the roofline blocks most rain. I would of course water it, but I would like something to thrive there, not just survive (I know, I might be asking a lot). I have morning glory seeds, but it is probably too late to start them, do you think? I will probably just head to a local greenhouse to pick something up for this year. Someone recommended cup and saucer vine, but I read up on it and it sounds like flowers don't appear until later in the summer. I don't have much red in my yard, so cardinal climber will probably be out. Would love to hear your thoughts. . .

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Annual climbing vine recommendation needed

I think morning glories would work really well and you can find them started already in the nurseries, and it really is not too late to start those seeds, they are quick. I have also had good luck with scarlet runner beans, they move quickly too.

Helen

o

Black Eyed Susan Vine (in yellow or orange) goes crazy climbing and blooming.

Also you could try to find Purple Hyacinth Bean. Bees and butterflies love it. It's too late to start that one from seed though. (I had some seeds germinate 2.5 MONTHS after I started them.)

Why won't you try a perennial? (Just curious.)

o

I'm trying out Spanish Flag this year. It's in the morning glory family but sprays of red-orange flowers. It's supposed to attract lots of butterflies and hummingbirds.

-Marie

o

Malabar Spinach

Love-in-a-Puff

Canary Bird Vine (Tropaeolum peregrinum)

I second Spanish Flag -- only a part of each flower is red and the overall impression is not red.

o

I'd second the black eye'd susan vine.
I've had them in window boxes that occassionally forget to get watered. Find them almost crispy, water, and within a half hour they are good to go again. Very forgiving plant.
Also, I just started my seeds this weekend, so it's not to late :)

o

I'll be bringing a bunch of Japanese Morning Glory seedlings to the spring swap. The person I got them from in a swap collected seeds from plants of seed she ordered last year so we may get something really nice or ho hum.
If interested be sure to come to the swap next Sunday.
Will

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here