Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

Moving...... again

jel48
15 years ago

Hi All. Look at my Zone/State. Yes, it's true. Most of you don't know this, but my marraige was ending when I hosted the swap in Owatonna last year. I've since met someone very special and have gotten myself engaged and will be moving to Michigan, more specifically the UP, even more specifically the Keweenaw Peninsula. That's WAAAAAY up there! I'm keeping the house in Rochester indefinitely, so can still be a MN gardener, right? I'll be at the swap at Dave's place on the 7th so will hopefully see a lot of you there. And all of my MN GW friends have an open invitation to visit me 'up north'. The Keweenaw is a vacation destination, you know, and we have a guest room. Email me if you have questions or comments you don't want to post here, OR, if you'd like to see a link to the beautiful, century old home that we're buying.

Comments (9)

• sandysgardens
    15 years ago

Joyce - Congratulations that you have found your special guy. The first thing I noticed was your zone/state. The Keweenaw Peninsula is a nice area and youÂre correct, it's WAY up there.

I'm so glad you will be at Dave's for the spring plant swap. Is there anything specific your looking for in plants to take to your new home?

Please send a link of your home youÂre buying, so I can drool.

Will talk to you soon.

Sandy

• selkie_b
    15 years ago

We'll miss you, Joyce! But it's important to be happy :)

Let us know if there's anything special you need!

-Marie

• doucanoe
    15 years ago

Well, first of all, CONGRATULATIONS! How wonderful that you found someone that makes your heart sing!

We'll definitely miss seeing you at the various MN Gardening events, but I just know you will love being a "UP'er"!

Sorry I won't get to see you at Dave's but I wish you all the best in your new life adventure!

Linda

• jel48
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the good wishes, Sandy, Marie, and Linda! I will most definitely miss everyone in this group. I'm going to hang around the forum but I'll miss getting together for the swaps. It is so hard to guess at what I'll want for plants there. The yard is small, but has some sun and some shade and I'm planning to absolutely fill it up! I've dug up a lot of strawberries, iris (including some of your grandma's grape colored sweet smelling ones, Marie), and hostas from the yard in Owatonna and those are going with me. I might manage to dig a rosebush or two from the Owatonna yard too, but would love to have another or two if they happened to turn up at the swap. I'd like to have some of what I call 'wild phlox' that someone had at a swap a couple of years ago. It reminds me of what grew wild in the timber back home in Nebraska. There are probably 40 different plants I'll think of later, but my mind is going blank at the moment. I know I want to take MN GW'er plants with me when I go, not because I can't get plants there, but because I want plants that will make me think about all of you. It's an exciting new life ahead, but I'm going to bring the best of the old life with me :-)

• lazyweeder
    15 years ago

But...but...you can't go. Who will I trade hostas with...and orchids too.

Glad your going to make it to the swap. Congradulations.

• leftwood
    15 years ago

Such nice country up there! And with all that snow, you should still be able to grow zone 5 perennials. To the more important development, congratulations on your engagement!
    Rick

• jel48
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Dave and Rick! Dave, last I knew, the postal service ran both ways between MN and the UP. And hostas (and probably orchids) travel pretty well by mail! Rick, isn't that great that the weather up there is warm, even though there is a ton of snow? I guess I can thank the lake effect for both of those things! The woods up there are just gorgeous, as is the plant and animal life. I've already told Gary that I plan to be a tourist the first year or so :-)

• may8
    15 years ago

Joyce, congratulations! But, how can you leave Minnesota nice? Well, you'll be happy and meet some good people up there too. Michigan is beautiful. We'll miss you though. Plan your trips back here for our future swaps.

I brought some phlox before. I'll bring more to Dave's swap. I have a "Improved Braze" rose bush for, oh, must be 20 years. It only bloomed once or twice. Maybe it needs more sun and better soil. Last year it even got black spots. If you want it, I'll dig it up. Do you want raspberries? I have plenty. Did you gave me the orchid, lovage and hardy green onion? Well, they did not do too well. My husband killed the orchid by watering too much while I was away. The lovage and green onions are doing pretty bad. The animals (rabbits? There are a few fat ones here) dug them up. If you have extras, please bring them to Dave's swap. Last year, the animals ate all of my apples and peaches too. Wish I know how to keep
    them away. We have never gotten any fruits from them all these years. By the way, my blue flax, lambs ears, blanket flower, spiderwort, some roses, etc. have not come back yet. Should they be up by now? Wonder if they are dead. Hope to get some replacements at Dave's.

• chevy57red
    15 years ago

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
    Holy smokes!! Talking of moving to the tundra to be in the up north country!!
    I know that you will have all kinds of new adventures waiting around the corner for you!!
    And I also know how good your are with those cameras of yours!!
    You are a special person and I do wish you well!
    Gees, listen to me- you would think you will be a million miles away!!
    If you can think of any of my plants, give me a holler!1
    I have a few I can split for you!!
    Send us pics!!!
    Sheila

{{gwi:1050595}}

Sponsored