Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stpaulite_gw

Favorite hardy roses

stpaulite
18 years ago

I want to add another rose to my garden, so I'd love to hear which roses people like best in their gardens. So far I've got Wm. Baffin, John Cabot, Bonica, Hansa, Magnifica, Purple Pavement and Carefree Beauty. The Baffins put on a spectacular show in late spring, but its the Carefree Beauty I love best.

Comments (55)

• twohuskies
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm curious about Darlow's Enigma too. I've only heard great things, but it all came from people in warmer zones. How big does it get here?

• selkie_b
    18 years ago

Mine is quite a size actually. About 4 feet and climbing at the moment. It died all the way back the first couple years I had it, but this year it seems to have required next to no pruning. I have it in a 6' obelisk and it's going to be cascading out the top in no time. Also, it can and enjoys part shade unlike 99% of other roses :) A BIG plus! The fragrance is VERY strong musk rose and if the wind is right I can smell it across the street - and I live on Larpenteur :) this isn't an exaggeration either.

-Marie

• clark106
    18 years ago

I love Topaz Jewel, from Sam Kedem Roses. It's very hardy, and a lovely yellow. I also have William Baffin, Henry Kelsey, Champlain, and Blanc Double de Couvert.

• MinnesotaSue_z4
    18 years ago

I have Lexington which is a small bush with yellow flowers
    Cuthbert Grant
    John Cabot
    Sir Thomas Lipton
    Rosarie d' laHaye (hope that is spelled right!)
    George VanCouver
    Hope for Humanity (outstanding repeat red bloomer)
    Hansa
    Champlain
    Rosa Rubra (I think that is the name it goes by now!)

I love the Buck Roses and will be adding more this year.
    I have Sunbonnet Sue
    Pearlie May
    I forgot the others at the moment and I am too lazy to go look.
    I am adding Hi Neighbor and Country Dancer.

Roses are one of my weaknesses, after back surgery, I switched to the Hardy, Rugosas and gave up on the Hybrid Teas.

• stpaulite
    Original Author
    18 years ago

MinnesotaSue,

I see you have a Hansa and a Rosaraie de L'Haye (sp?). I keep reading that they're nearly identical, but that Rosaraie is more "refined" than Hansa. Since I have no idea what that means exactly, I'm curious which you prefer. Also, where did you get the Rosaraie?

Johnine

• selkie_b
    18 years ago

OOPS - I just realized I'd left my newest rose off the list :)

I also have "Silver Shadows" I can't wait to see a bloom off it this year... it's still very small (own-root of course)

-Marie

• rivrats2
    18 years ago

I have quite a few rugosas which are truly "easy care" and hardy--Added "Polar Ice" last year-heavy bloomer and came through the winter great!! Planted "Funny Face" (easy-care Bailey rose) last June--survived the winter in fine shape so I planted "Grandma's Blessing", "My Hero" and "Sunrise Sunset". Lost a few Griffith Bucks- Love Winnipeg Parks, Lambert Klosse, Alexander McKenzie, Ramblin' Red, Morden Sunrise

• twohuskies
    18 years ago

Rivrat- Grandma's Blessing is a beautiful plant. I got one late last season and it came through winter very well. It reminds me of a lighter version of Winnipeg Parks.

I have one big problem right now. I still have Wildberry Breeze (rugosa), Graham Thomas, Stanwell Perpetual, and Reine des Violettes to plant and no where to put them. I've already relocated some perennials to make room for more roses, but now I'm having trouble finding places for the perennials to go too.

• karenn3
    18 years ago

I have a question about Polar Ice. Is this the same rose as Polareis? I swear I saw Polareis listed as an 8' shrub, but the Polar Ice rose I saw in the Orion Roses cataloque was a 4-footer. I'm in the market for one of these, if you know a local source, I'd love the info. I tried a Canadian source, but they ignored my e-mail and I didn't follow up with a call. My loss. Thanks, Karen

• rivrats2
    18 years ago

Karen--Don't know anything about "Polareis". I got "Polar Ice" from Spring Hill Roses in Wisconsin bare root a year ago. It took right off- had large clusters of very double blooms and reached a height of about 2 1/2 feet. It seems to be a rose of moderate height. It is my favorite rugosa as of now.

• jenswrens
    18 years ago

Johnine, I have both Hansa and Roseraie d' la Hay (correct spelling) in my NJ garden, but not here. I guess I personally am more attached to RdlH, but it depends really on what you're after in a rugosa. Hansa is large and bushy and full like a hedge or thicket, even in shade, while RdlH is less shrubby and more arching and she's in full sun. She is also much more fragrant than Hansa and has more blooms that last a little longer (but that part may be due to the sun vs shade issue). The fragrance is to die for though. Both of mine are own-root and Hansa suckers and spreads horizontally, while RdlH just sits politely in the very spot I planted her, only growing taller.

I'm curious to hear what Sue will say about hers here in MN.

• jenswrens
    18 years ago

Oops....that's Roseraie de l'Hay. NOW it's correct. I promise.

• MinnesotaSue_z4
    18 years ago

St. Paulite: Sorry it took me awhile to get back here.
    I really don't know what they mean by refined either. I like both of them equally well, however, the R. d'LaHaye is more fragrant and is a repeat bloomer more so than Hansa. My Hansa has been very suseptible to cane borers. I have had to cut it back to the ground twice in ten years to get rid of them. Hansa is more of an upright bush for me than d'LaHaye (not sure the spelling is correct!)
    I keep them both as they are good performers.

• minrose
    18 years ago

Our all time favorite is Hope for Humanity, it got over 6 feet in our gardens last year but now we moved all 10 of them to our farm so they will not get so big this year but... I also bought 2 more for the end of our driveway, I am hoping they get as big as they did at our other place as kind of a showy beginning to our driveway. This rose is awesome, dark red blooms constantly all summer. Very hardy, the year before with no cover, it stayed alive 4 feet high thoughout that winter.
    At our other place, that was the rose that was asked about the most, very impressive rosebush.

• Mary4b
    18 years ago

Hi KarenN3....Polareis is probably Polar Ice. Polareis is German and means Polar Ice in English. It's possible that the rose was developed in Germany. I've notice German names along with English ones on some perennials when I buy them,and they are usually direct translations. Anyway, I don't know for sure, but it's probably the same thing.

• leftwood
    18 years ago

In my opinion it is an unfortunate thing, that according the the International Code of Botanical Nomenclature it is legal to translate cultivar names from the original language to another. But it is only supposed to happen in certain and unusual circumstances, like if the name is "unpronounceable" in the language. Taken lightly, there could be a myriad of translations for one cultivar. What a mess.

So we get lilac 'Beauty of Moscow' from the original 'Krashavitsa Moscvy'(phonetically correct, although not the right cyrillic spelling). At least I haven't seen lilac 'Hope' instead of 'Nadezda' yet.

Polar Ice instead of Polareis is inexcusable, IMO. And I am not sure it would stand up to the nomenclature rules.

Rick

• Carola_MN
    18 years ago

I also love Hope for Humanity. I have mine on a trellis which has double the blooms from last year. It's 6'.

Morden Blush is a beautiful everbloomer.
    Cuthbert Grant is second year and going to put on a really big show.
    Carefree Wonder is so so. Thin stems and nodding blooms. Maybe it will get stronger in time.

The easy elegance My Hero was new last year and not winter protected and died to the crown. It is coming back now but only 6" high so far. I'm dissapointed with this one. If I need to winter protect something I'd rather do it with an Austin or OGR.

I have planted 30 more roses that will require winter protection this year. But most of them are fragrant which you just can't get with the really hardy types except for rugosa's.

• karenn3
    18 years ago

Hi, Just checking back in and saw the Polareis discussion. I think everyone is right, they are the same rose, and the nomenclature should not be changed. Suzy Verrier says this rose, for her, got taller than 4', (about 7' x 6') and I kinda trust her information, or maybe she's just lucky. That's why I thought they might be different roses. Almost bought Beauty of Moscow this spring, and this was the first I saw it listed this way. My nursery sent Madame Lemoine instead. A nice lilac also, but I sent it back. Perhaps I wasn't ready to even plant it this year. Thanks, Karen

• stpaulite
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you all for your great responses. I got lots of ideas. So many in fact I went down to Sam Kedems and bought two climbing roses. I relocated two Dropmore Scarlet honeysuckles to a shadier spot to replace some Sweet Autumn Clematis that didn't make it through the winter. Which left two sunny spots in my garden on a fence open. Which had to be filled--by roses. Anyway, I got Autumn Sunset and Ramblin' Red. The Autumn Sunset is Zone 5, but it was so pretty and smelled so good I couldn't resist. To help it survive the winter, would taking the canes down and covering them with straw help?

Thanks.

• sjmarq
    18 years ago

I've been following this with great levels of personal conflict. I have Morden blush, Rugosa Nearly Wild, a pink fairy, and another like my Morden but deep pink and I dont remember the name. I love my rose blooms, but in general I really don't like the plants. The pests (including deer), the diseases, the deadheading, the feeding and watering, the thorns, the winter protection. There's a lot in my opinion working against me loving these plants. I've been considering removing mine for two years now. I've had so much space to fill though that I've kept them. But once space becomes premium, I don't think these are going to rate.

So what is it about roses that you are willing to work so hard? Do I just need to try different varieties? I actually plan to keep my fairy - when my others were naked due to black spot, this was a beauty.

• twohuskies
    18 years ago

For me, roses have become an addiction. There are so many to choose from and so much to learn that it's never boring. I guess I like the challenge or something. A little bit of work = lots of payback. I will admit that I'm getting away from the non hardy hybrid tea/grandiflora/floribundas and trying to get hardier Buck, Explorer, rugosa, antique, easy elegance, and a few David Austin roses. The David Austins are iffy for hardiness, but many of the rest are good choices.

Most rugosas are good choices. They are winter hardy and can't be sprayed for pests/diseases. A few of my favorite Canadian roses are George Vancouver, Alexander Mackenzie, and Winnipeg Parks. Carefree Beauty is a very nice Buck rose. There are many other wonderful roses out there that really aren't that much work. I'm sure others can suggest some too.

I also love it when I walk through the neighborhood and spot some roses. I think they make the garden look so much nicer. Three years ago I had 5 roses, last year I had around 50, and now I'm inching past 75 and am running out of space to put new ones.

Here's Winnipeg Parks

Laura.

• stpaulite
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I agree with Laura--The payback is worth the effort. I understand, though, about the look of some roses--especially the Rugosas. Once they're finished blooming the shrub isn't all that and a bag of chips. But the flowers are so beautiful and fragrant, and if you look for hardy, continuous bloom (or nearly continous bloom) roses you might be pleasantly surprised. I highly recommend Carefree Beauty if you want a hybrid tea rose look but all the hardiness you'll need for zone 4. Another excellent choice is Bonica. It has arching canes covered in pink to near-white blooms all summer. It reminds me a bit of The Fairy, just on a larger scale.

• meeperx
    18 years ago

Rugosas can get amazingly tall-especially in light of tough MN winters. My neighbor has a spectactular 9' display next to her back fence. They also have some of the meanest thorns of any shrub I have ever encountered. I haven't found a pair of gloves yet that can stand up to a Rugosa.

• sjmarq
    18 years ago

meeperx - that may be a bit sweeping generalization of rugosa roses. My Rugosa 'Nearly Wild' rarely gets taller than 2 ft, is no more thorny than most roses I've encountered and I don't have any problems with handling them carefully with gloves on.

While they are fragrant, it isn't enough for me to love them. I am going to look into Carefree Beauty and Bianca though.

• twohuskies
    18 years ago

Actually, Nearly Wild is classed as a floribunda. One rugosa I can think of that isn't supposed to get large is Charles Albanel. It's listed on HelpMeFind as growing to 4'.

• jel48
    18 years ago

My rose garden is shaping up! This is a new are for me. I've bought the odd tea rose in the past, enjoyed the flowers, and always mourned it when it died (usually in the first winter - and THAT was in Nebraska before moving to Minnesota 10+ years ago).

But... I decided I wanted a rose garden. And I admit, I did buy one tea rose last year - Jackson & Perkins Sundance - their 2004 rose of the year and is it ever a beauty - http://www.dirtgardener.com/Roses_NewIntroductions/Roses2004/Sundance.html - and yes, it did survive. I kept it in a large pot and buried it in my veggie garden for the winter (my own variation of the MN tip method :-). Right now it's back in the pot and has rewarded me with 7-8 lovely blooms already.

But... it's not one of my rose garden roses. I researched all winter and came up with a list and then ordered 7 roses from High Country Roses in northern Utah. They ship all own-root roses and I picked only the ones that looked like they'd need NO babying here in southern MN! Then I brought home two roses from the June plant swap (thank you very much Marie and Pauline - your roses are settling in very nicely). And just today, I picked up three more at Fleet Farm.

Here's my list, and I'd love comments on how anyone likes (or even dislikes) any of the roses on the list and also what kind of luck you've had with survival and any other comment's you'd care to throw out there. With the exception of the three from Fleet Farm, they are all planted in the new rosebed and looking pretty good at the moment!

From High Country Roses:
    William Baffin (put in two to grow on an arbor)
    Rosa rugosa rubra
    Henry Hudson (bought two of these also 'cause he's so pretty)
    Rosa. glauca
    Rosa acicularis

From Marie and Pauline
    Apothecary's Rose
    Snow Pavement

From Fleet farm and as yet, unplanted
    Carefree Delight MEIpotal
    Chuckles
    Morden Blush

• Carola_MN
    18 years ago

Morden Blush is very hardy here with almost continuous blooms, It got a little BS last year but not bad enough for spray. However, this year I'm spraying since I bought 30 rose bushes and some are vulnerable, and I really need them to be healthy going into the winter so they survive.

• twohuskies
    18 years ago

My rose list is at work but I'll see if I can do this from memory. I know I'm being a little optimistic about hardiness on my Austins, but I'm willing to take a gamble on those. None of the roses listed will get more than a light covering over the crown for winter...

Hardy roses planted last year (all made it through the winter just fine):
    Henry Kelsey
    Ramblin Red - a favorite
    George Vancouver -a favorite
    Cambridge
    Alexander Mackenzie - a definite favorite!
    Bonica
    Winnipeg Parks
    Hawkeye Belle - pretty blooms but many of mine ball
    Prairie Harvest
    Winter Sunset
    Carefree Beauty
    Morden Blush
    Purple Pavement
    Champlain
    Nearly Wild
    Carefree Delight
    Knock Out -- may have gotten lucky on it surviving winter
    Gertrude Jeckyll -- my smelliest rose!
    Graham Thomas
    Scepter'D Isle
    Abraham Darby
    Jude the Obscure -- love the smell
    Noble Antony
    Grandma's Blessing -- one of my favorites

Hopefully hardy roses added this year:
    Konigin von Danemark
    Morning Blush
    Quietness
    Mrs. Doreen Pike -- a david austin rugosa!
    Wildberry Breeze
    Hansa
    Christopher Marlowe
    The Mayflower
    Eglantyne
    Barbara Worl
    Heritage
    Sea Foam - love all the little white flowers
    Country Music
    Aunt Honey -- looks like it will be a bloom machine
    Prairie Sunset
    Polonaise
    Distant Drums -- love the unique colors
    Stanwell Perpetual
    Tahitian Moon
    Morden Sunrise
    Day Dream
    Prairie Sunrise
    Honeysweet
    Reine des Violettes
    Charlotte
    Redoute
    The Prince
    Wildeve
    Friends Forever (a cross of Heritage x William Baffin!)

I have too many to comment individually on, but so far I like each and every one of them. A few I haven't seen bloom yet, but the only one I probably wouldn't buy again is Champlain. It's a pretty red, but I don't feel there's anything all that special about mine. Maybe I'll grow to like it more after it shows me what it's capable of.

Laura.

• karenn3
    18 years ago

Hi, A thought about William Baffin-they gtow vigorously. I put two on a 7'x4' trellis and years later went back to the old house and they have taken it over. Admittedly the new gardener there doesn't like to prune them. But I think two need a pretty large support. It's a great rose for MN. Rosa glauca is one of my favorites for leaf color and hips. Right now I'm exploring why it defoliated last year. Karen

• joelle55113
    18 years ago

My favorite rose for winter hardiness and disease resistance is the Winnipeg Parks. I deadhead and they bloom profusely all summer.

• rivrats2
    18 years ago

My favorite Canadian shrub rose is "Lambert Klosse". It has large, very double pink blooms which it produces in large quantities all summer. The foliage is very glossy and disease resistant. It is probably the hardiest shrub rose that I grow. The grandiflora "Queen Elizabeth" is in it's "pedigree". I like "Winnipeg Parks" also but "Lambert Klosse" comes through our tough winter with far more green wood.

• Carola_MN
    18 years ago

Hello Two Huskies and Others,

It appears that both of us have been very busy the past 2 years. My neighbor cut down three 3 story trees this year and now I put in 3 new rosebeds. I see we have many of the same roses, but this year I tried alot of HT's and notice you planted some last year. How are they doing for you this summer and how tall are they? Did you winter protect?

This is my rose list and notes I needed to take so I might as well do it here and multitask. I hope no one minds this lengthy report.

Last Year and Previous Years

Hope for Humanity - love it's color and tallness
    Cuthbert Grant - Great spring flush but nodding blooms
    Morden Blush = Heavy bloomer
    Outta the Blue - Great fragrance last year, hardly this year
    The Dark Lady - Always in bloom
    Scepter'd Isle - Great first flush
    Bonanza - Pretty initial color then changes to ugly
    My Hero - Fades quickly, not cane hardy
    April Moon - SP'd it, not vigorous
    Carefree Wonder - Pretty this year
    Pirette Pavement - Don't spray with miracle grow
    Winipeg Parks - OK but rose slugs like it

New This Year

HT's

These came from Menard's in peat pots for $5
    Queen Elizabeth - small
    Intrigue - small
    Tiffany - small
    Peace - small
    Sunsprite - small
    JFK - tallest one right now and 8 blooms
    Love - Doing well with 5 blooms
    Mister Lincoln - 2 blooms
    Miss All American Beauty - small
    Chrysler Imperial - small
    Lady X - small

These came from Linder's all are vigorous Best Place for HT's

Full Sail - 6" smelly blooms absolutely my fav
    Hot Cocoa - Love it
    Double Delight = Has powdery mildew but controlled
    Scentimental = Not that fragrant
    Neptune - #2 favorite very smelly, needs daily watering
    Queen Mary 2 - Doesn't even compare to Full Sail

HT's from other places including Krazy Keith's

Bewitched - Own root only 2 spindly canes 1 bloom
    First Prize - Huge blooms
    Tropicana - very new to me
    Hi Neighbor - Nice first flush
    Yves Piaget - Krazy Keiths bareroot has one bloom
    Yves St. Laurent - KK bareroot Pretty ruffles 4 blooms
    Fredric Mistral - KK bareroot not blooming yet
    Just Joey
    Heirloom

Mixed Roses

These came from Sam Kedem
    Theresa Bugnet - don't spray with miracle grow
    Aunt Honey - Growing well but only a few blooms
    Reine Des Violettes - Nice spring flush
    Astrid Lindgren - Pretty apricot-pink blooms
    Glamis Castle - very small plant but 6 blooms
    Eglantine - growing well but floppy
    Abraham Darby - "
    Graham Thomas - Slow growth and only 1 bloom
    Fisherman's Friend - Great 1st flush waiting for repeat no floppies

Mail Order Roses
    Paul Neyron - had/has 4 huge 6" in blooms on yet small bush
    Alfred Colomb - 13 blooms on yet small bush
    Henry Nevard - had/has 4 large blooms on yet small bush
    Eutin - Starting 1st flush, has 6 canes w/15 buds per cane
    Red Eden - 2nd flush, 3 weeks worth of long lasting blooms
    Friends Forever
    Rockin Robin - lots and lots of small blooms
    Fair Bianca - rose slugs like it and many browned buds
    Rose de Recht - lots or new growth
    Karl Forster - slow new growth

Yikes I planted more than the 30 mentioned in previous posts. At least the poorhouse has pretty roses.

• twohuskies
    18 years ago

Carola,
    Yes, I winter protect my hybrid teas -- Minnesota Tip. It is a lot of work though. Mine all made it through the winter and look great right now. With all the other great hardy/semi hardy roses out there I most likely won't be buying any more tender ones. I think most of mine are 3-4' tall right now. By the end of summer some may be 5-6' though.

I see you got Friends Forever too. I am really excited about that rose. When mine came it had a few little flowers on it and now it's ready to start blooming again. I can't wait!

I broke down and went to Sam Kedem's on Friday. I wanted to get a few antiques now so I could see them bloom next spring.
    Here's what I came back with:
    Souvenir de Philemon Cochet
    Baronne Prevost
    Cardinal de Richelieu
    Tradscendent
    Dakota Song -- this rose is really pretty.
    Pretty Jessica
    Crocus Rose
    Tuscany Superb

I absolutely cannot buy any more roses this year. I think I'm pushing about 30 new ones too! And yep, I'm broke too..

• Carola_MN
    18 years ago

Hi Two Huskies,

I've been on vacation in Taylors Falls. Love that place, so much to do. Canoeing, horseback riding, water park, and of course the scenery.

I don't think I'll to the MN tip on my HT's way too much work. I will mound them and use collars. So I'll have to see next year how tall they get, however I planted the bud union about 3" below surface. Hope that helps.

One of the longer canes on Friends Forever fell from the wind. I read here on the forum from somebody that this bush has an odd growing habit, have to wait and see I guess. Not many people grow this one. Let's stay in touch about it.

• twohuskies
    18 years ago

Carola, yes, lets stay in touch about Friends Forever. Mine has grown some since I got it this spring, but I'm hoping it will fill out some more. It's blooming again and the flowers sure are pretty!

• belle_michele
    18 years ago

I think David Austin roses are a lot hardier than most people realize. I've had several (The Prince/The Squire/Gertrude Jekyll/Pat Austin/Dark Lady) for a few years now and they come back every year-my 'Princes' for at least 5 years now (no tipping and minimal mulching).

Two of my new Austins for this year are Jude the Obscure and Tradscendent.

Maybe it's just me, but for all their 'hardiness', I've never gotten a Buck rose to make it through a winter here.

• petsitterbarb
    14 years ago

This is a very old thread, but I'm still going to add my two cents worth. I certainly agree that many roses just aren't worth the expense, time, risk w/ chemicals and thorn wounds, etc. The worst thing that's ever happened here is that we ended up with a one eyed dog, after she ran into a climbing rose bush. That rose is HISTORY! My hubby has ripped out a few that have grabbed him, as well. SO...I'm trying very hard to now stick to my priorities as best I can, and purchasing own roots that are as disease resistant as I can find, very hardy, have the FRAGRANCE that I adore, are manageable in size, the pastel colors I love, in a graceful, pretty plant with at least decent foliage. Some are shade tolerant (we have shade in back and sun in the front),and most that I have are now THORNLESS, as well.

• prairie_love
    14 years ago

I'm coming into this quite late but thought I would also add my favorites that survive here in North Dakota.

Morden Sunrise (goes through a fabulous array of colors)
    {{gwi:238065}}

Hope for Humanity (mentioned by others, great blood red color))
    {{gwi:265617}}

Morden Fireglow (more pink-red than HfH)
    {{gwi:253968}}

• edmonton83
    13 years ago

I know this an old thread but I wanted to join in:

Marie Bugnet (beautiful fragrant white blooms)-beautiful olive green foliage.No hips

Prairie Peace-once bloomer beautiful orange apricot blooms, hard to find.

Red Frau Daugmar Hartop

• lklvng_live_com
    12 years ago

Does anyone know anything about Gertrude Jekyll. I'm a rookie and am looking for a climbing rose that blooms all summer. I live on a lake near Annandale and I think I'm in zone 4. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

• mnkitty
    12 years ago

I don't know about Gertrude Jekyll but, I'm glad you brought this thread up. I would REALLY love to know how everyones roses have made it through the winters.
    Kitty

• Rudebekia
    12 years ago

My Knockouts have new growth on them, so I think they came through!

• garystpaul
    12 years ago

I grow Gertrude Jekyll, a David Austin rose, and love it; comes back every year from the base and puts out big, heavily scented dark pink flowers. I've even transplanted a couple of suckers (which are rare) and they've done well. Highly recommended, though she's a mean, thorny cuss.

Others that do well for me: Morden Fireglow, beautiful for its orange-red flowers against lime-green foliage, though it gets black spot like crazy near the end of the season; Frau Karl Druschki, a beautiful white, absolutely scentless; From Griffith Buck: Hawkeye Belle, Winter Sunset. Gentle Persuasion.

Others: Snowdrift;; Jude the Obscure (David Austin); Mme. Hardy; Carefree Beauty; Nevada; Abraham Darby (D. Austin); Explorers: John Cabot, William Baffin, Champlain, Martin Frobisher, a beautiful shell pink (though the flowers cling to the bush when spent and take on the look of dirty-pink wet kleenex); Cuthbert Grant, a great, beautiful rose, prairie hardy.

If you're looking for a hybrid tea that will come through a MN winter without tipping or even mulching, I recommend Love and Peace. I learned about this one from a guy from (as I recall) Afton, who had a blog. One day he decided to close the blog down, but I'll always be grateful for that recommendation. L&P dies back to the ground but returns every year.

Oh, and if you can find it: Mme. Le Gras de St. Germain, an old French rose, thick with petals, thornless canes, pure white, and a heavy lemony-sweet fragrance. Also easily propagated from cuttings. I grow this one on a trellis, with a dark violet clematis.

Would love to hear from others on this topic.

GaryStPaul

• CossecaRose_z3
    9 years ago

Some hardy roses I've grown for the past few years or more:

Rosa acicularis: Once bloomer, palest pink, slightly cupped flowers last only a day, but one year it bloomed for a full month! Also it is easily the most healthy rose I have. It suckers like crazy too, so I planted them in large dirt pockets in a rock-cut. Their red canes really charm me. The leaves are matte and a bit grayish-blue. It was planted a year later than my William Baffin, and by the second year it had grown taller and looked healthier than he did, though they were in the same flower bed. (William outgrew it the following year though). Super vigorous and healthy. Cute hips all winter, they are small and round and red. In one dirt pocket, the other perennials didn't survive the winter at all, but this rose is still doing very well, not even a bit of dieback! No pruning needed at all.

Rosa glauca/rubrifolia: Beautiful foliage, especially when it's clumped in a border where the other roses' foliage is apple-green or red-tinged - breaks the monotony even when there are no flowers yet. Very healthy and vigorous. Nice hips and flowers.

Rosa virginiana: Cute semi-glossy leaves that are smaller than acicularis'. Not as vigorous as R. acicularis. Similar flowers. They aren't nice and cupped though, they kind of flop.

William Baffin: Became enormous in the most beautiful way, my favorite flower, very informal, bright cheery pink, pale pink reverse, quite blowsy. Super healthy plant.

John Cabot: Quite vigorous, magenta flowers, Surprisingly had a quite a bit of dieback this winter, down to the snowline,( good thing we had lots of that!)... but then again we had a terrible winter this year. Apple-green foliage that goes well next to R. glauca. Quite a bit of blue in its flowers I find, compared to William's.

Flower carpet scarlet and pink: I've had them for about 6 years now, and they always die down to the ground and come back well. Their graft union is quite deep. They flower later than all my other roses, I'm guessing it's because they have to start from scratch every Spring. Their flowers are beautiful. The hips aren't that nice though, they just remain small and green. They don't drop their leaves in the Fall (it's almost as if they are surprised by the arrival of winter every year!) and look very messy with dead leaves clinging to the dead canes in the Spring. But no diseases, year after year.

Rosa rugosa rubra and alba: Charming and healthy. luckily they don't need a lot of pruning in the spring, because the thin sharp thorns go right through my leather gloves! Big silky flowers. Very healthy. Suckers.

Belle Poitevine: (a rugosa) very healthy, suckers, charming pale pink flowers. A real treat. a bit old-fashioned. Lots of thorns.

Alexander Mackenzie: Had it for about 5 years now, and it was always struggling. I switched it's site, and bought another plant from another store, to see if t was just a bad cultivar. We'll see how it does.

Louis Jolliet: Struggling as a small plant, going on it's 3rd year, maybe the soil there is too sandy for it. The rugosas next to it (even the ones planted later,) are making it look small and insignificant. Giving it one more year!

Emily Carr: Very special red flowers, cupped, red blooms. Has been sending out one or two very long canes every year, which looks a little awkward.

Quadra: The best red rose for this zone. Period! Big red, double flowers, perfectly hardy, red-tinged foliage. The best! No diseases. A real treasure.

The Dark Lady (Austin): The most beautiful flowers, tons of petals, globe-shaped, inner petals magenta, outermost petals more toward the color violet, always blooming, huge flowers, great for cutting... but it didn't survive the winter. I should've buried it in the vegetable garden or something. No diseases either. It is sadly missed.

Marie Victorin: Beautiful pink with yellow blend, in pastel shades, big vicious thorns, a bit of blackspot, (I don't spray anything), they open very fully too quickly though. When I am leaving for work in a hurry in the am, they are perfect: baby-coralish-pink with a bit of yellow at the base, cupped - but when I get home from work they are almost flat, and a paler pink with the yellow blending gone. Still I wouldn't want to be without it. Floriferous.

I have a few other ones but they are too new to comment yet!

• OldDutch (Zone 4 MN)
    9 years ago

Nearly Wild is a very dependable floribunda from here in Minneapolis through down to NW Iowa. Definitely hardy zone 4.

Own root bushes are an extra defense against top damage in super cold winters.

• irinah
    9 years ago

I love Winnipeg parks rose, however it attracts every japanese beetle in the area. One of my bushes got stripped of leaves completely in a blink of an eye...

• Sam The Roseman (SE Michigan-zone6a)
    5 years ago

I've added the 10 David Austin roses to my zone 6a south garden:

Gertrude Jekyll

Scepter'd isle

Lady of Shallot

Crown princess of Margarita

Graham Thomas

Constance Spry

Jude the obscure

Wollerton old hall

Heritage

Spirit of freedom

As most of them are climbers, I really care about the cane hardiness and how much winter die back they suffer from the MI brutal winters. I'll report on their performance next spring.

I also have 3 New Dawn's, one Zephirine Drouhin, and one Red Eden, all planted last year. The New Dawn's and Red Eden are planted at the 4 corners of a large pergola. The ND's came back with little cane damage last winter. Red Eden sent a few long cane that had reached the top of my pergola in just one season, but it died to the snow line that winter. Zephirine Drouhin was planted against my south-facing wall which receives lots of sun, but it had some die back as well. Zephirine Drouhin sent out lots of octopus arms but hasn't produced a single bloom during the entire season. I will spade it next year if the same trend continues. Life is too short and we have many good roses to try.

• Sam The Roseman (SE Michigan-zone6a)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I'd like to update on the winter performance for DA roses in my garden in their second season. We just had a brutal winter with the record low temperature dropping to well below -30F for about a week in Jan over here in SE Michigan (zone 6a). Surprisingly, most of my DA roses suffers little cane damage and starts leafing out at this point. All of my roses are fully exposed to the elements. The only winter protection that they had was about 2-3 inches of snow covering their bases.

Gertrude Jekyll (tip damage only)

Scepter'd isle (20% die back)

Lady of Shallot (50% die back. Some canes only show damage at the tips)

Crown princess of Margarita (30% die back)

Graham Thomas (die back to about 6 inches above snow line)

Constance Spry (tip damage)

Jude the obscure (to snow line)

Wollerton old hall (30% die back. Most long canes survive)

Heritage (can't comment on this one as it had poor growth since last season)

Spirit of freedom (30% die back. Most long canes survive)

Other non-Austin roses:

New Dawn (little or no damage at all)

Zephirine Drouhin (little or no damage at all)

Red Eden (to snowline)

Pink Eden (to snowline)

Earth Angel (tip damage)

This year, I've added 4 more roses to replace the Heritage and Graham Thomas (due to the prime location I gave this rose on the side of our patio door):

Teasing Georgia

Mary rose

Princess Alexandra of Kent

Bonica

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

Sam: Love those pics. you posted, gorgeous !! Agree that Zeph. Drouhin is ideal for cold-zone. Mine is zero work & no thorns, but tons of blooms and health in only 4 hrs. of evening sun. It's a 6th-year-own-root:

I lean toward low-thorn roses after I read the post above: "The worst thing that's ever happened here is that we ended up with a one eyed dog, after she ran into a climbing rose bush. That rose is HISTORY! My hubby has ripped out a few that have grabbed him, as well."

From Straw: I don't have pets but I'm glad that I took out Mirandy, so thorny that my daughter complained that it got into her way while walking through the garden.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area