Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daffodils

Posted by fayemo 3b (My Page) on
Wed, May 12, 10 at 23:47

I am perplexed that I have so many daffodils that do not set blooms. The foliage is healthy appearing. They have enough nutrients in the gardens they are in. They have increased in number but NO flowers. Today I pulled out 100's of them and disposed of them. I do have some blooms but most plants do not bloom. This is the second or third year this has happened.
What is wrong ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daffodils

Hey...me too, I don't have hundreds but I do have zero flowers!

Helen.

o

This can happen when they get too crowded. Try digging them up, spreading them out, and giving the extras to your friends.

o

I am pretty sure mine are not overcrowded, there are like 6 of them all in separate parts of the garden...I just fail at bulbs unless they are potted...LOL.

o

Two years ago, I had a lot of nonbloomers, and put down bone meal/bulb food, and made sure the foliage was not mowed until it died. Had tons of flowers last year, but got lazy and did not put down any more bone meal. This spring--2 flowers--and hubby has the kayaks parked over the top of them. I think I will put some bone meal on this weekend and do a little TLC, like moving the kayaks.

o

As an afterthought--I also cut off the spent blooms and flower stems, too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here